Rash on face after egg, what now?

(4 Posts)
HaveTeaWillSurvive Sat 20-Jul-13 21:10:59

I had the same with DS after scrambled eggs at about 7mths. GP recommended we don't try it again as DP has anaphylactic nut allergy and so we've been referred to allergy clinic to be on safe side. He seems fine with well cooked egg in food, muffins, lentil wedges etc so fingers crossed all is well when we get tested.

MyDaydream Sat 13-Jul-13 19:27:54

Thanks for that, it was really helpful. He didn't seem at all bothered, but I think it might have given him a bit of stomach ache as he was a bit miserable after I'd posted but its all gone and he's happy again now.

HabitualLurker Sat 13-Jul-13 15:57:40

Hi MyDaydream, I had exactly the same thing with my DS, at about the same age. A rash (that did seem to distress him as he scratched it quite vigourously) but no other ill effects. I was concerned since I wasn't sure if the next time it could be worse.

My short advice would be to go to your GP, but that they'll probably just advise what you've suggested in your post.

Long advice is I went to the GP who told me that there was no such thing as an anaphylactic reaction to egg (NOT true!) and sent me on my way.

I went back, saw another GP who said that she'd just been to an alergy seminar and that it's quite possible to have a skin reaction but nothing internal and that I should avoid giving any egg for a few months. I could then try again (with some prescribed piriton at the ready), or I could come back to the GP and they would refer me to the allergy clinic at the hospital.

My DS is now nearly 10 months and I haven't tried egg on its own (eg scrambled) yet. But I realise I've given him things that contain egg, like egg pasta, yorkshire puddings and cake. I think I'll try giving scrambled egg again in the next few weeks and see what happens, and if he reacts again then I'll get along to the allergy clinic.

Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble about me... hope it helped anyway.

MyDaydream Sat 13-Jul-13 10:32:25

We tried 6.5mo DS on egg for the first time this morning in a cheese omelette. He's had cheese since we started weaning about a month ago so we know he's fine with that.
He's got a bit of a spotty rash around his lips now that came up maybe 5 minutes after eating but is fine in himself otherwise. I bf and eat eggs in some form fairly regularly and it doesn't cause him any problems. He's playing happily now too.
So what should I do now? Leave it for the time being and try again in a few months? And should I be avoiding giving him things with egg in? I can't think like what at the minute because he's mostly eating fruit, vegetables and porridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now