Salt

(5 Posts)
IceNoSlice Wed 10-Jul-13 10:04:54

I'm careful about the amount of salt in 11mo DS's food (ie very little, no added etc).

But adults are supposed to take on a bit more salt in hot weather, aren't they? To compensate for the amount we sweat out? Is it the same with babies/children?

Anyone got any information about this? Thanks

SpooMoo Wed 10-Jul-13 10:08:34

I've never heard that about adults needing more salt when it's hot confused sounds unlikely unless you're running a marathon.

source?

IceNoSlice Wed 10-Jul-13 16:20:54

No source, sorry. I spent a couple of summers working abroad in hot countries and the centre management encouraged us to eat salt to replace salts lost through sweating. Also rehydration remedies contain salt for the same reason. You don't need a lot, and most people eat too much salt anyway, but I believe the theory makes sense.

PeriodMath Wed 10-Jul-13 16:24:44

No, just offer more drinks. Milk and water. And avoid having the baby out in the heat for long obviously. If baby is drinking plenty and not being allowed to sweat profusely, then there's no risk of dehydration at levels that would require rehydration salts.

IceNoSlice Wed 10-Jul-13 16:29:53

Thanks PeriodMath. It was just an idle pondering really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now