Rough feeding timetable when weaning

(9 Posts)
marshmallow2468 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:53:57

Hi,

DS has just turned 5 months, so thoughts are quite seriously turning to weaning. I'd like to do BLW, and I'm pretty sure he's ready, or very nearly ready - he can sit up, hold head up etc. I'm currently mostly breastfeeding with two formula feeds a day at lunchtime and before bed. Gradually I plan to cut down the breastfeeds and have him completely bottle fed in the next few weeks. When first offering solids, what would a reasonable daily timetable be? I'm unsure about when to offer food in relation to milk. And approximately how many bottles a day does your 6 month old have when first starting solids? As I say, he's on two bottles a day, about four breastfeeds and anything between two and five (on a bad night!) feeds overnight.

Thanks!

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Wed 10-Jul-13 11:07:10

Hi

My DS is 6.5 months old and his daily timetable looks like this:

6am - bottle
7.30-8am - breakfast of porridge or similar
10.15-10.30am - bottle
12pm - lunch of mashed fruit/veg or a yoghurt with fruit
2-2.15pm - bottle
4.30pm - bottle (am going to try to cut this one out first in the next six weeks or so)
5.30pm - tea similar to lunch
6.45pm - bottle then bed at 7pm

He naps at about 9.15am for 40 mins or so and then after his lunch for anything from 40 mins to two hours

valiumredhead Wed 10-Jul-13 11:16:46

Have a look at the Annabel Karmel book, there are examples of weaning time tables which I found really usefulsmile

MyDaydream Wed 10-Jul-13 11:20:07

DS is 6.5 months and I really struggle getting 3 meals in so most days we just have 2. He loves toast with fruit mush on top, I mix the fruit with a bit of yoghurt. I also do him porridge, all kinds of fruit and vegetables. Juicy fruits have been popular in the heat.
We do:
7-8 formula feed on waking
8-9 sit down for breakfast
11-12 formula feed after his nap
3-4 formula feed after his nap
6-7 dinner time
8pm formula feed
10pm if he wants it another feed but he seems to be dropping it now.

I usually bf him to sleep for naps unless we're out then his pram puts him to sleep instead.

GinAndaDashOfLime Wed 10-Jul-13 11:26:31

My dd is 6.5 months and for the last 6 weeks or so our rough routine is
7am bottle
9am breakfast
11am bottle
1pm lunch
3pm bottle
5pm dinner
7pm bottle at bedtime

I do feel like its a bit mad feeding every 2 hours - but she sleeps through 7-7 on this routine!!

marshmallow2468 Wed 10-Jul-13 11:30:00

Thanks, that's been a great help.

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Wed 10-Jul-13 11:44:58

I should add that he has reduced the amount he is having in his bottles - he used to take 8-9ozs each time, but now had more like 5-6ozs. I still put the same amount in, he just doesn't want as much as he used to.

valiumredhead Wed 10-Jul-13 12:08:31

It's many moons ago now but I'm sure I just offered food at break fast, lunch and dinner followed by a bottle.

KingRollo Wed 10-Jul-13 20:11:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now