How/when to start cutting down bf feeds

(4 Posts)
Teatimecakes Mon 08-Jul-13 22:00:12

Ds is 8 1/2 months. He's on 3 good meals a day plus snacks but still has 4 or 5 bf a day (5oz expressed milk per feed when I'm at work)- somtimes more on a bad night.

How and when should I start cutting down and move towards just solids? I know he needs milk until he's one, but is this supposed to reduce gradually after turning one or cut down in the run up to it?

I want to stop bf soon after he turns 1 as I want to get pg again and would like my body back for a short time inI between!!

Thanks in advance!!

Caitycat Tue 09-Jul-13 12:53:39

Dd is 10mo and from about 8mo I started cutting back. Until 9 months I did first thing in the morning, around 3pm and bedtime, since then I've dropped 3pm so it's just first and last thing (although when she's very unhappy with her teeth I have let her have a feed). I offer her plenty of water at mealtimes and whenever she wants it and give a small snack (fruit or breadsticks with houmous) at 3 to replace the feed. I want to start moving away from the remaining feeds but terrified of ruining her sleep routine!

Teatimecakes Tue 09-Jul-13 19:54:42

Thanks - I've noticed him start to take less tbh but nothing consistent yet

KatAndKit Tue 16-Jul-13 13:31:19

I started to go away from bf on demand at about 10 months. He has just weaned a couple of weeks ago when he was 14.5 months as I wanted to give up soon after 1. He had really got the hang of BLW at 9 months.
At 11 months I replaced a feed that he tended to take about 10ish with a cup of milk and a small snack. We also cut out any 5am breastfeeding and DP gave formula instead and eventually weaned him off that feed.

At 12 months we got to 3 bf a day - getting up time, about 2.30 so just before second nap and going to bed time. A solid snack was offered after second nap - just something small like fruit and a bit of juice to tide him over till dinner time.

A couple of weeks after that I replaced afternoon bf with a cup and stopped offering milk at 10am. So down to two a day.

At about 13 months bf to sleep wasn't working any more so that feed went and was replaced with a cup. so down to just the one feed first thing and he gave that up himself after a few weeks.

So it took me 5 months but it was easy and we didn't have any troubles with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now