7 month old won't eat after starting so well

(9 Posts)
Rach738 Mon 08-Jul-13 13:44:48

I started weaning at just under 6 months and for 5 weeks it went really well, baby was eating twice a day and would take 3 cubes of food per meal plus maybe toast and some yogurt.

She then started teething and stopped eating solids which I thought would pass, but it hasn't. For last few weeks every meal has been a disaster, baby will either scream on being out in the chair (which I have just about overcome by putting her in just to play) or take a few mouths of food then arch back and scream and flatly refuse any more.

I have tried feeding hungry, after milk, at different times, in different places, by different people with me there or not - and no success. In addition and I assume because she is now hungry having been used to the solids, she has gone back to waking in night after 3 months of sleeping through. She has also stopped going down for naps without being fed into sleep.

I feel like a total failure, and am not proud to say I have lost my patience more than once with me ending in more tears than she is. My husband is no help at all, my mum just tells me to be patient and I am not sure where to turn for help. Any ideas?

ExBrightonBell Mon 08-Jul-13 17:51:41

Have you thought about maybe trying a BLW approach to see if she might prefer to self feed? It might also take the pressure off meal times.

She's only 7 months ish - milk is still the main source of nutrition at the moment. Don't feel like she should be eating 3 meals a day, there's plenty of time for that.

I would just try putting what you are having (as long as it is low salt, no honey, no whole nuts) in front of her and seeing what she does with it. She might play with it for a few days or even weeks, but she should start to self feed. As long as she's having the required amount of milk (bf or formula) then that's fine.

She's been teething and its boiling hot. Forget the food it's not important just key her have the milk. Have a week or two off relax get her over the teething and maybe try the BLW approach as suggested above. Relax honestly smile

I also suggest blw, and sit there and eat your lunch while she has her food in front of her, often they'll copy.

But don't stress too much, she'll get it eventually!

Rach738 Tue 09-Jul-13 21:06:18

Thanks all for the messages. Have been trying finger foods but she has no real interest in them, picks them up and throws them away. But take your point its hot and she may still be teething, so will back off and see what happens.

SpooMoo Tue 09-Jul-13 21:57:55

At 7mo food is for fun. She should be trying flavours and textures, don't worry about how much gets in her, make sure she's still getting enough milk.

KingRollo Wed 10-Jul-13 20:14:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 20:22:07

Probably not helpful that another grandmum is about to say "have patience" ...but really, your mum is right smile

Teeth and heat will throw even the happiest eater off their food, and if its become a fight then you need to avoid it becoming a vicious circle.
I would stop worrying about solids in any formal setting for a week or two. As long as she still gets lots of milk, she will be fine.
Offer something to chew while she is on your lap ...a piece of your toast? the chance to suck on melon ....cool, and comforting. Just turn it back into a no-stress, easy and relaxed opportunity for a while.
Just no stress for either of you.

She will come back to the process in a while smile

Rach738 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:42:43

Just wanted to thank you all for your messages. Baby has started eating again. For anyone else with the same issues in future, my local health visitor was very helpful too and looked at how much milk she needed for her size ignoring solid food and reassured me she was getting the nutrients she needed. Though she did recommend vitamins as I am breast feeding. In the end we found feeding away from the high chair - garden, middle of the table did the trick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now