Fruit and vegetable ideas for a 1 year old refuser

(17 Posts)
sharond101 Sun 07-Jul-13 22:18:37

DS 1 year old has been eating like a horse after a tummy bug. He has been one meal per day fed to him by me (like soup, chicken and rice, spag bol etc) then another as finger foods. He will take snacks some days too as finger foods. He will not eat any fruit or vegetables in this way except raisins. He picks most fruits up and makes a disgusted face at the slimy feeling of it then drops it. He has sucked on a clementine but no longer even does that. We have tried apple, bananas (hates them), nectarine, pineapples, strawberries, blueberries, melon, grapes, peaches and pineapple. As for vegetables we have not had any luck either except for sucking on a cherry tomato until the skin burst then he threw that away too.

I'd like to give him more fruit and vegetables as I feel he eats a carbohydrate laden diet and snacks are all relatively unhealthy.
How do you serve fruit and veg to your toddler and what do they like to eat?

MrsHoarder Sun 07-Jul-13 22:21:47

The only veg ds will reliably eat is steamed broccoli. Worth a try?

And whole cherry tomatoes are a may cooking hazard (size, toughness of skin and slightly squidgy): its advisable to chop them in half like grapes before giving to young children.

Chunderella Mon 08-Jul-13 14:03:26

Have you tried 'hiding' vegetables in sauces? If he likes soup and Bolognese, those definitely provide you with an opportunity. Do you do a veg heavy Bolognese anyway? You can use as much onion, pepper and tomato as you do meat. I realise his disgust at fruit and veg is a problem that will have to be addressed at some point, but it's better for everyone if it can be dealt with whilst he's still eating some veg.

Drladybird Mon 08-Jul-13 17:15:44

I came up with these multi-veg muffins as a way to get veggies into my veggie refusing nephew.

What about other dried fruit- apricots or prunes (although not too many!). Otherwise what about cooking with fruit in main meals or stewing some fruit up and mixing with yoghurt.

peachypips Mon 08-Jul-13 17:18:04

I grate veg (carrots, courgette etc) into everything. Really easy, they don't notice and as it's raw it's even better for them. I also serve veg on the side so they get used to eating it normally.

Seeline Mon 08-Jul-13 17:23:11

If it's the slimy texture of fruit he doesn't like how about trying him with a fork and letting him eat chopped up pieces from that?
Purees and stewed fruit mixed into yogurt, porridge, cereal etc.
Loads of veggies in all sauces, stews etc - liquidise if necessary!
Raw veggies cut into sticks - carrot, cucumber, pepper etc
Make pictures out of fruit - smiley faces on the plate
Make a huge fuss about eating fruit in front of him - "Wow - this is yummy!!" Kids always want what you are having if it seems that you're enjoying it, particularly if he can steal it off your plate wink

sharond101 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:41:22

Tried grapes, cucumber and watermelon today to no success. Tried offering them with fingers, on a fork and by spoon. He will eat them pureed and in meals but it's more on the occasion he is having an entirely finger food meal which I am trying to do as much as is possible. I currently add fruit to cereal and custard (hates yoghurt) and veg to every spoon fed meal.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 08-Jul-13 22:43:19

Sweet potato wedges. Our ds3 is 8 mo and he can't get enough if them. Warm, sweet and not slimy.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 08-Jul-13 22:45:16

Also ds2 was never a fan of fruit and veg, a real carb lover he was.
But he's just turned 2 and loves all fruit and veg now. Their tastes and eating habits change.

sharond101 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:21:32

Boys that's good to hear. tried melon chunks, red and green pepper, apple and pear slices and cauliflower today but no joy. I spent tonight peeling chopping and stewing the rest of the apples and pears as I know he will eat it in weetabix, porridge and with custard. It's a laborious task and I can't wait to not have to do it.

ceeveebee Tue 09-Jul-13 22:35:13

My 20 mo twins are exactly like this - just seem to hate the texture of fresh fruit. They'll gnaw on an apple and sonetimes eat chunks of banana but otherwise it just all ends up on the floor. Mashed up/puréed fruit they live and will eat with a spoon or spread on a rice cake. Or I make smoothies which they drink out of straw cups.

Vegetables are easier, they will eat most green veg and I do a lot of vegetable-hiding too - spinach, courgette, broccoli, carrots all get chucked in pasta sauces. Carrots with garlic and cumin are a favourite. They will eat tomatoes only if cooked, and won't touch cucumber.

sharond101 Wed 10-Jul-13 16:08:27

ceeveebee how do you serve your vegetables? Steamed? Raw? Seasoning?

Chunderella Wed 10-Jul-13 18:28:28

Hmm cucumber and watermelon are both pretty watery, I wonder if he doesn't like that aspect of them? It sounds like the stewing is going well at least. Would they eat chunks of veg in a casserole?

ceeveebee Wed 10-Jul-13 21:35:27

Cabbage, broccoli, spinach etc - I just boil and served in small pieces alongside whatever else they have eg fish pie, pasta etc

Carrots, leeks, courgette all get diced up small and put into sauces like ratatouille, spag Bol, with tomato sauce and couscous

Carrots with garlic and cumin is a new thing I discovered on holiday in Portugal - basically sliced carrots boiled, then marinated in olive oil, white wine vinegar, cumin, garlic, coriander for a few hours - DD loves them!!

SpecialJK Tue 16-Jul-13 14:51:39

I just posted a similar thread. Sharond101, sounds like your LO and mine are the same person!

Only success I've found so far is corn on the cob, and grilled tomatoes

You just keep trying. Just because they refuse a few times doesn't mean they don't like them.

Try avocado maybe too.

sharond101 Tue 16-Jul-13 22:19:42

He is now eating corn so I will try corn on the cob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now