Weaning.. Too much 'pudding!'

(18 Posts)
Nicknamefail Mon 08-Jul-13 08:12:14

I gave 3 meals a day (though blw) at 6 1/2 months but dd's milk intake was still the same. If you want to keep up three meals you can, but make sure milk is first, as she definitely needs more at the moment.
The advantage of doing this is that your baby obviously likes solids, and will progress quickly. Disadvantage is that the day is almost entirely filled with feeding, whether milk or solids.
If your dc is refusing milk for solids then definitely cut back to one meal a day. Milk is more important!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 07-Jul-13 09:33:07

Agree with next, she is probably loading up on yogurt to make up for the lack of milk but the yogurt won't contain the vitamins and minerals they add to the formula that she needs.

I don't think 20floz is too much. If you can offer her 6floz at 7am. 6floz at 11am, finger food at 12pm. Another 6floz at 4pm, finger food at 5pm then a bottle at 7pm it should cover it. Although like I've said, if it was me I'd only be offering food once a day at the moment smile

nextphase Sun 07-Jul-13 08:03:09

Since your already at 3 meals a day, what about sticking with that, but stopping the spoon feeding, and just let her loose with finger food at 2 of them?

She might be taking that much yoghurt to make up for the lack of milk??

PeazlyPops Sat 06-Jul-13 22:42:58

Gosh yes, up the milk feeds!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 22:40:40

I'd offer the milk and only offer solids once a day. Even when you do offer the one meal its advised to offer the milk an hour before. Its also fine to just give her finger food for that meal and not to worry if much goes in smile

Really wouldn't advise carrying on as you are now. She needs to milk to grow and develop.

Bubbless Sat 06-Jul-13 22:36:31

Ah.... She just seemed to love food so much I clearly got carried away! So do I cut down her meals drastically and up the milk to what's advised or accept that the damage is done?!

5madthings Sat 06-Jul-13 22:22:58

Yrs milk is meant to be her main source of nutrition until one year. Most babies at 6mths are still having 5bottle feeds a day and you gradually cut down.

20oz is the minimum amount a day from 6-12mths. Some of that can be made up by cheese/yog but the bulk of it should be milk.

Do look at the mnet guide as jilted has suggested.

Three meals a day is a lot for a 6mth old. Normally you start with one meal a day and gradually build up to three meals over the course of a few mths. Mine wrre on two meals a day plus milk until 8+mths, by 9mths they had three meals a day plus milk but still.milk before food as milk is more importsnt for nutrition than solids at this age.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 22:21:28

It says here 500-600ml of first stage milk a day is the minimum smile

Bubbless Sat 06-Jul-13 22:05:07

Does she need 20 oz milk a day if we have her on 3 proper meals a day? Thought the idea of weaning was to cut the milk?!
Anyone got a 'birth to 18- how to raise your child without pulling your hair out' manual to hand?!
20oz seems like a lot shock

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 21:55:49

300 not 390.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 21:55:15

Totally agree with 5. If she is exclusively ff she needs 20 floz a day until she is 12 months. Between 12 and 24 months she should have 390ml (around 10.5floz) of full fat cows milk per day.

Agree too on offering milk roughly an hour before solids. If she's not drinking her 20floz, I'd only offer solids once a day till her milk intake increases.

Have you read the MN weaning info? Its got a good section on milk and a useful timetable smile

5madthings Sat 06-Jul-13 21:48:07

She should still be having 20oz of milk a day. So cut out the pudding and offer het milk before her food (about an hour before). Milk should be her main source of nutrition. Food is for exploring and learning new tastes and textutes mainly at this age.

Bubbless Sat 06-Jul-13 21:44:52

Yeah, I think we are going to go with you eat mains or you dont get anything, she's a bit of a yoghurt fiend! I might go with 3 ice cubes per meal, and if Shes still hungry give her more, until she only wants a little yogurt?
I'm not sure If she's got normal milk intake either, she will only have 1 or 2 5oz bottles a day? confused So if she doesn't have enough food I'm not convinced she will make up for it in bottles?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 21:23:08

Getting it everywhere is completely normal and she won't get hungry if she is offered savoury food and still has her milk smile

At this age food is more about exploring taste and texture, if she's hungry she will eat the savoury. Think next's explanation of portion size is very good too smile

nextphase Sat 06-Jul-13 21:13:40

I'd either completely cut the yoghurt for a bit, or just put out one serving (I work on a serving being the size of a fist - so your fist for you, their fist for them), and when its gone, go back to boring mains. If she's hungry she will eat some more! Mine quite often go back to main course after pudding.......

If by big pot you mean she's getting through 500ml of yoghurt in 4 days, I think thats too much! Can you make it less attractive by serving plain greek yoghurt?

Yes, at 6 months food everywhere except mouth is about par for the course (we didn't purée, but did spoon yoghurt, cereal etc, so partial blw)

Bubbless Sat 06-Jul-13 21:04:35

Sounds like a good idea, I'm just worried that she will be hungry? She's okay with finger food but most of it will end up in her hands / ears/ hair/ toes etc! Is this the case for everyone or do we have bad hand / mouth coordination?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 21:01:34

I'd stop the pudding for a few days and then only offer once a day when you do introduce it for a while. If you think she may get bored, you can always introduce some finger food with her purée smile

Bubbless Sat 06-Jul-13 20:46:45

Our daughter is on 3 meals at 6 1/2 months, started weaning at 6 months.
She is having two ice cubes worth of proper decent mashed up what we are eating, low salt, low everything, high carb etc etc
But after these two ice cubes we are offering a fruit purée mixed in with natural yogurt and she is eating a bug tub of yoghurt in 4 days?! She's essentially eating more pudding than main at every meal but she seems bored of the main and barely opens her mouth? So.. Do we keep feeding her as we are (she's on the 98th centile) or is there anything we can do that doesn't involve her having two main meals per meal time to keep her interested?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now