Undigested food in nappy - should I stop weaning?

(7 Posts)

DS started weaning 2 weeks ago at 27wks, mix of finger foods and purees. All well for the first week, but for the last ten days he has been producing dirty nappies up to 10 times a day, of every colour and consistency going. GP and HV don't seem concerned, said a mix of teething (still no tooth through though) and getting used to solids. Using metanium to get rid of horrific nappy rash for last 6 days.

In the last hour DS has filled 2 nappies with what looks like the sweet potato mash he had 7 hours ago, exactly same colour and consistency, looks like it has gone straight through him!

Is his digestive system still too immature? Is this normal?? Should I stop solids for a while to let his tummy settle? So worried I may be doing him harm.

SkinnyDecaffGiraffe Fri 05-Jul-13 02:54:03

Perfectly normal. As a BLW'r I get excited by this as its evidence that foods actually going down.

Once they have teeth and her used to things, you see it change -and get grimmer!

SkinnyDecaffGiraffe Fri 05-Jul-13 02:55:13

Teething thing will come and go as teeth come through too.

RoadToTuapeka Mon 08-Jul-13 14:06:06

Quite normal! Things like sweetcorn & raisins still come out other end looking recognisable and my DS is 2.5. When younger he often had two quite distinct colours to his poo (sorry if tmi) eg a blueish hue from morning breakfast muesli+blueberries, & eg an orange part from carroty rice.

SpooMoo Tue 09-Jul-13 14:54:42

This is normal! You'll be wishing it was still coming straight through at around 7/8 months when it starts smelling like "real" poo!

MiaowTheCat Wed 10-Jul-13 13:45:50

I must be the one freak in the world who much prefers dealing with weaned poo to milk-poo. At least when it's solid food poo it's got structure to it so the days of it squelching out of a nappy leg hole at the worst possible moment are gone.

Peppers have a tendency to do the sweetcorn thing and come out the other end fairly unscathed from their daytrip too.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Wed 10-Jul-13 13:54:15

Raisins tend to rehydrate on the way through. Tomato skin also appears fairly indigestible with my DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now