BLW questions!

(5 Posts)
TheThirdHare Wed 03-Jul-13 10:53:38

So I've just started BLW after my baby grabbed my sandwich and put it in her mouth. I'm clueless and looking for some advice!

So far I've offered my baby (24 weeks) finger-sized chunks of fruit and raw vegetables. She seems to enjoy sucking on these but I'm wondering if I should cook (grill/steam) the vegetables so that they are softer and easier to "eat"? Do other people cook vegetables before giving them to their baby?

And when do you start offering your baby water? At the moment my baby still bf all the time so I haven't offered it yet, but I'm just wondering if&when I should...

And do you sterilise baby's plates etc. the way you do with bottles?

Indith Wed 03-Jul-13 10:58:34

Yes you can cook veg, steamed etc is asolutely fine and like you say makes it easier to eat.

I offer water with meals. At first htey tend to playw ith it and gradually get used to drinking it.

I don't sterilise, you don't have to. It is important to clean bottles well because of bugs that can grow in milk that might be hidden around the teats etc. You don't have that issue with plates. Plus by now your baby is probably eating worse off the floor grin.

TheThirdHare Wed 03-Jul-13 11:25:40

Thanks for your reply!

Haha yes she does drop her toys on the floor all the time and they go straight back into her mouth, so I get your point about the sterilising!

Did you offer water in a sippy cup or just a normal cup?

SpooMoo Tue 09-Jul-13 14:59:03

For water it's up to you - we offered a sippy cup (no valve, free flow) with meals but if you are still breastfeeding on demand it isn't necessary. We just wanted her to learn how to use a cup.

We give her roast or steamed veg sticks, however we fancy it really (we share our meals).

Nightfall1983 Fri 12-Jul-13 12:15:28

I agree with everything the others have said - which is unusual for me smile

I suggest you offer water in various ways to see which she prefers (sippy cup, doidy cup, regular cup) but don't worry if she doesn't 'get' it - keep offering with every meal and that all you need to do.

Can I recommend this Baby Led Weaning website which is full of ideas and reassurance...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now