can i feed my baby strawberries??

(9 Posts)
Yell04 Mon 01-Jul-13 10:21:51

My daughter is six months old and i have started to wean her on various fruits and vegetables. I wanted to try her with strawberries as they are in season at the moment. However i have heard that some people recommend not to give strawberries before 12 months old because of allergic reactions. So is ok to try her on strawberries and be aware that a reaction can happen or is it best to wait? Advice please.....

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Jul-13 10:36:29

If she's over six months she can have prey much everything. There is no evidence that strawberries could be harmful to your baby. There are so many lovely fruit around at the moment, I'm sure she will be having a lovely time trying them all smile

The only things you need to avoid are listed here. So no need to limit her to fruit and veg as you would if you were weaning a much younger baby. She can eat pretty much what you eat smile

Yell04 Mon 01-Jul-13 12:03:51

Great will try it today, thank you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Jul-13 13:58:28

Hope she enjoys them smile

RobotBananas Mon 01-Jul-13 14:01:25

Just try a little bit to start, it should be fine

Chunderella Mon 01-Jul-13 16:12:18

DD is 11 months and troughs them. Has been having for a few weeks now. No ill effects yet- although she was exposed to quite a lot of them in the womb! I have heard of people avoiding them due to allergies but it seems to be more common in the US than here. I suppose you might want to think carefully about what to do if you have a family history of allergies, but personally have found them useful. They're also pretty nutritious.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Jul-13 16:50:13

We've got a family history of allergies and it never even occurred to me not to give them to my DC smile

leedy Mon 01-Jul-13 16:58:06

DS1 is possibly about 90% strawberry at this stage. God knows what we're going to do when strawberry season ends.

leedy Mon 01-Jul-13 16:58:35

DS2, not DS1! Damn phone keyboard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now