6 month old not ready for food

(7 Posts)
Pickle131 Tue 25-Jun-13 22:00:52

Slightly anxious mum here, needing advice please. My 6 month old is still pushing pureed food out of his mouth with his tongue. I know this is a reflex but don't know if practice will get rid of it, or whether I should try again in a week or so. How late can I safely leave weaning do you know, or is he going to be missing out on vital nutrients? He's breast fed so I've heard extra vitamin D is needed after 6 months.

MultipleMama Tue 25-Jun-13 22:13:15

I wouldn't worry. I didn't start weaning until my twins were 7 months but only because they showed signs.

As long as they're still getting nutrients from bm I wouldn't be concerned at that age. I know a few who didn't wean until 11 months and her dd is 2 now and is eating perfectly fine.

Try not to worry, don't force it. Or maybe try finger food so he's interacting and sees it as something fun.

stargirl1701 Tue 25-Jun-13 22:16:06

Maybe just have him sitting at the table when you eat so he can see the family eating. Leave a few fingers foods in his reach to pick up, lick, suck, etc.

Do you know about the Healthy Start vitamins for ebf babies? Talk to your HV or Minor Ailments pharmacist.

Relax. Food is fun till he's one.

MultipleMama Tue 25-Jun-13 22:16:34

If he's pushing food out, I don't think he's ready or interested. Try this link; www.nhs.uk/start4life/Pages/babies-introducing-solid-food.aspx

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 25-Jun-13 22:22:05

DS2 didn't start weaning until 8 months. He just wasn't interested. He still has his baby bottles even now for milk at 3.5 blush. OTOH DS1 wanted food from 4 months. Different children

Pickle131 Wed 26-Jun-13 08:50:25

Thank you for all the advice, it's helpful to know others waited for babies to seem ready, even if it took time. I'll try not to freak out, I just have memories of my 12 year old taking to it so readily. I'll look into those vitamins and keep putting him with us at mealtimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now