How much cow's milk does your 1yo have?

(13 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Jun-13 20:46:39

Oh yes, straws are brilliant. We also gave dd milk in an open cup when she was in the bath. The novelty got her to drink a bit and it taught her to use the open cup without me worrying about spills smile

FadBook Mon 17-Jun-13 20:36:05

Just to add my experience to JJJ's great advice - bf'ing is probably more comfort to your baby and your milk is sweeter (and warmer) than cows milk; hence the lack of interest in cows milk.

DD was never interested in it. I'd offer it (after 12 months) and she'd let it dribble out of her mouth on purpose and laugh grin. We continued to offer it but she'd say no, and we continued to breastfeed and still do (22 months).

Only recently in the last 6 weeks she'll ask for 'cold milk' (cows milk), normally at really random times with no logic to me other than she fancies it.

It didn't replace her bedtime feed but she dropped that bf feed over a few days at 17 months (just more interested in bath / stories / daddy) and has water in her room at night. She's reduced down quite a lot in the last 6 months and I haven't done anything in particular (like replacing 'feeds' with snacks etc) just fed on demand and given food when I've had food or when she's asked.

Now at 22 months she tells me what drink she wants: mimi (breast milk), water or cold milk occasionally 'goose' (juice) because I stupidly gave her some the other week and she loves it! grin

Hope this info helps.

If you want to stop bf, try milk through a straw or one of those straw cups; they like the novelty.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Jun-13 20:14:00

Forgot to say, both of mine wouldn't touch cows milk as a drink until they had stopped bfing altogether. The 300ml of cows milk per day doesn't apply if you are bfing, so if you want to continue bfing you can do so knowing your Lo is getting everything they need, have a read of Bfing Your Toddler: what to expect.

If you do want to cut down or stop though, try one of the bfing helplines smile

Ds has a shedload of milk each day he's like a baby cow himself! On an average day he gets <quick maths> about 30oz.

3 cups of milk, 1 in the morning when he's just woke up, 1 at 'nap' time which he's slowly giving up aswell as the nap which is gone and 1 at bedtime.

If he's unwell/testy/wakes in the night then it's upto double that amount shock

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Jun-13 20:05:35

blushing the advice is to drop one bf every 2 weeks. This is to give Lo time to adjust and to reduce your risk of mastitis. A BFC will be able to talk you through the best way of stopping or reducing bfing, have you got the Bfing Helpline numbers?

Have a read of this article too smile

IWipeArses Sun 16-Jun-13 09:50:07

I am, haven't cut down deliberately. It does cut down naturally, specially on busy days.

blushingmare Sun 16-Jun-13 05:27:12

And are you still bf at all now?

IShallCallYouSquishy Sat 15-Jun-13 20:48:26

I just don't think she's that bothered about milk tbh. I was never a fan of just milk when a child so I'm not worried and not going to make her drink it! She's more than happy drinking water throughout the day. If your DD is getting calcium from other sources I don't think it's a problem.

blushingmare Sat 15-Jun-13 20:42:05

That's reassuring Squishy - sounds very similar to what my dd is doing.

blushingmare Sat 15-Jun-13 20:40:30

Yes that's what I'm doing - giving it to her when she would have normally had a breastfeed.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sat 15-Jun-13 20:40:18

My DD was BF until a week ago. She's 12.5 months.

She has full fat cows milk with her cereal then anywhere from 10-70ish ml from a sippy cup in the evening. She doesn't drink anything other than water during the day (her choice, I offer milk but gets refused) but has cheese and yogurt to get calcium.

IWipeArses Sat 15-Jun-13 20:36:29

I don't give her cow milk.
I don't know how much they're supposed to drink, but I imagine if you gave it to her just as she'd normally have a feed shed drink more than if you gave it between, or with a meal.

blushingmare Sat 15-Jun-13 20:33:06

As title says! DD has been ebf and now she's 1 I've introduced cow's milk, but she rarely drinks more than about 50mls in a go. Doesn't seem very much to me, but having never measured how much milk she takes in, I don't have anything to compare it to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now