ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Adding butter to purees

(9 Posts)
KingRollo Thu 13-Jun-13 07:49:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyAmex Thu 13-Jun-13 07:56:01

I know exactly what you mean, we have been so conditioned about "good" and "bad" foods that it's a hard shift in mindset.

I constantly remind myself that DD needs a lot of calories and fat and the only things I'm a badass about is refined/process food and sugar (she gets fruit and that's it).

I'd say butter is a good idea and will also make it taste nicer grin

mummytime Thu 13-Jun-13 08:29:03

Your DH has some scientific basis as vitamin A is fat soluble. BUT if she is also drinking lots of milk, and with a baby at pretty much the same time as the food, then she will be getting the fat she needs from that.

However, you do also need to look at your thoughts about nutrition as even in the UK the guidance for young children is different for that for adults. Some butter sounds okay, sugar though shouldn't be needed.

HystericalParoxysm Thu 13-Jun-13 08:59:37

I personally wouldn't add butter. I don't think it's healthy. If you want/need to add fat I'd add coconut oil or avocado or similar.

ReallyTired Thu 13-Jun-13 09:03:34

Your baby gets fat in her diet from milk. She doesn't need butter and it could be argued that dairy products should be avoided in the early stages of weaning.

How old is your lo. If she is over 6 months then she can eat almost anything. In the early stages of weaning babies still get most of their calories from milk.

I wouldn't add it. It's not their main source of nutrition until one and unless you want to be carrying butter everywhere for years it's best to let them learn to eat things as they naturally taste. The fat will come from formula or greasy milk cheese , nut butters, avocado etc.

Greasy milk? Wtf. Typo forty , should say breast milk blush

KingRollo Thu 13-Jun-13 13:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBakeryQueen Thu 13-Jun-13 17:42:57

I wouldn't! I'd encourage a taste for the carrot without the butter!

Fat is in most meals naturally anyway & like everyone else said, milk.

Butter is quite salty too unless you specifically buy the low salt variety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now