How can BLW work before babies have teeth?

(17 Posts)
batteryhen Tue 28-May-13 12:05:18

My DS is 9 months and only has 2 teeth and we do BLW. I always give him a spoon to mess about with and he does really well with his food now. Last night he had mushy peas for the first time, as long as you can live with the mess it's really good fun smile

notcitrus Sun 26-May-13 20:45:22

Ds wanted to be fed anything not obviously finger food as.quickly clocked it was quicker than doing it himself. Dd grabbed spoons and insisted on feeding herself even if it wasn't going to stay on easily, followed by tipping the bowl into her mouth.

Sticks of meat or fish worked really well, chip shaped potatoes, pasta shapes, any cooked veg, pieces of fruit... though I also gave meals with sauce but spoon-fed - the finger foods were great for keeping babies occupied while I sorted the rest of the meal out.

Londonmrss Sun 26-May-13 19:23:49

just try it! you'll be surprised just how quickly they learn to eat even without teeth.

forevergreek Sat 25-May-13 07:38:29

We gave cutlery straight away. So with a hot meal if liquidy ie cottage pie we could load and let them take or help them

Stew would give the pieces more and less liquid. They would use fingers or spear potatoe with small fork or we would for them

Both using fork/ spoon by 9 months roughly ( but not great), probably reliably by 15 months. Now 2 and 3 they use knife, fork and spoon ( only cut easy things like omelette/ fish)

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 07:31:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cravingdairy Sat 25-May-13 07:28:08

Mine started to crack loading her own fork and spoon from around 17 months. She would happily scoop up anything mushy with her hands before that, as long as it wasn't too hot. We would pre-load spoons but she liked getting stuck in with her hands. It was lots of fun to watch!

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 07:23:29

Hulababy Fri 24-May-13 20:39:10

DD didn't get any teeth til she was 13 months old. I didn't do BLW back then as I'd never heard of it but she had finger food all the time, from being 4 months (as age recommended at time). Never had any issues at all - she used her gums. She could manage anything with no teeth - veg, fruit, fish, meat - even remember having a piece of steak at Christmas, all with no teeth.

SoftSheen Fri 24-May-13 20:38:16

Babies gums are quite hard and they can chew surprisingly effectively.

Don't give raw carrot or apple sticks as small bits can break off and be a choking hazard. You can, however, give a whole apple (with a bit of skin removed) and they can scrape little bits off. Most other foods are fine.

To start with, it helps to cut foods into stick or wedge shapes so that younger babies can pick them up easily. Sticks of steak or chicken go down well, and obviously bits of soft fruit and cooked veg. My DD's favourites were celery, falafel and homemade pancakes.

To start with, most BLW babies don't digest very much, but by about 8-9 months they are usually quite good at eating. In any case, milk is supposed to be the main source of nutrition for the first year, so to start with it doesn't really matter how much actually goes down. smile

Longdistance Fri 24-May-13 20:36:38

My dd1 gummed her food.

She didn't get her first tooth til she was 13 months old, and only one then.
If she starts teething, offer some cooling cucumber to gnaw on.

Pascha Fri 24-May-13 20:34:06

The gums are bony and the teeth are there just underneath so they can get through most things.

piprabbit Fri 24-May-13 20:33:29

Have you never been bitten by a gummy baby? It hurts!

CMOTDibbler Fri 24-May-13 20:30:50

If you feel their gums they are rock hard, and they are quite capable of dealing with virtually anything. You only really need teeth for meat lumps, and if you cut that into strips they will just gum it until all that remains is sad grey connective tissue

AnaisB Fri 24-May-13 20:27:26

They could chew a hard carrot stick for the taste or chew a cooked carrot stick with their gums.

KingRollo Fri 24-May-13 20:25:11

ShowOfHands Fri 24-May-13 20:24:23

They use their gums. Both of mine did BLW from 6 months. DD had no teeth until a year, DS had one at 6 months. Makes no difference.

KingRollo Fri 24-May-13 20:21:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now