Baby led weaning and yoghurt

(7 Posts)
Lambzig Mon 13-May-13 12:40:36

I expect this is a dumb question, but here goes.

I started BLW with my six month old last week. He is doing really well with it trying lots of things and I am just about managing to curb my horror at the mess.

My DD 3 was eating a petit filou yesterday and when my back was turned fed DS a spoonful (note to self to sit them further apart). He wolfed it down and I would like to give him some. So, do I make an exception to BLW and spoon feed him yoghurt or do I let him get on with it himself, or avoid foods that need spoon feeding?

PollyPlummer Mon 13-May-13 12:46:41

We used to put yoghurt, cereal etc. in to one of these
Most of it got rubbed in to their hair and faces though.
Sometimes I just gave them yoghurt pot, their little hands can fit in quite nicely.
I don't think it matters if you spoon feed him a yoghurt, nothing is set in stone just do what works for you.

Ponderosa Mon 13-May-13 12:48:34

I did BLW with DS1 and had the same dilemma. I didn't want to do it 'wrong'.

I think there's logic in spoon feeding things that are normally eaten with a spoon - yoghurt, weetabix, jelly etc. and will be giving these things on a spoon when I BLW DS2.

tabbycat7 Mon 13-May-13 12:52:53

Ds3 became very accomplished at eatingessy stuff with his hands. I was determined not to spoon feed him anything! By the time hr was 1 he didn't make too much of a mess either.

Lambzig Mon 13-May-13 13:16:13

Yes, that's my issue -don't want to get it wrong. DD was spoonfed puréed as I couldn't face the mess of BLW and she didn't eat a thing until 8 months and is still a nightmare eater at 3.

I am really enjoying the ease of just giving DS what we have and watching him try stuff. I don't want to disrupt it for him. Will try letting him get on with it.

Nicknamefail Mon 13-May-13 17:19:06

Dd like to feed herself with a preloaded spoon. In fact she won't open her mouth unless she is holding it. Try that, the point if blw is the baby having control, but dc is in control with a preloaded spoon, and gets more yoghurt.

ChunkyChicken Mon 13-May-13 17:25:51

I did BLW with my 3yo DD & in the early stages with my 6mo DS. Both of them became/are very good at directing a loaded spoon into their mouths at this age, so that's what I do. DD eats lots of foods & isn't fussy really (any more than an average toddler - she has started exerting her choice & won't try new things etc) and DS enjoys food too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now