Formula for a milk protein intolerant 9 month old?

(14 Posts)
10000Fireflies Wed 24-Apr-13 13:28:50

Hi Next. He hated soya, and I've seen bad reports of it recently. I've looked into goats milk, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the tip on Oatly. I'll look into that. I'm guessing that by the time we see the paediatrician I'll have solved the problem ourselves by trial and error!!

nextphase Tue 23-Apr-13 20:51:09

We bf, and used calcium enriched Oatly for cooking.

What is he like with soya?

Would goats milk formula be any use?

Your chemist may sell you a tin of nutramigen initially. If you can show the GP there are benifits, may the prescribe it?? Or you can buy online

Good luck!

10000Fireflies Tue 23-Apr-13 20:36:11

Tiny 2cats and remindme (love your name BTW - I know that feeling). Thanks for all your input. Is all good to know. I hope to be armed with plenty of info by the time we go to the appt. The paediatrician is probably going to hate us!!

Hello! My DS is cows milk protein intolerant and allergic to soya. Diagnosed at 10 months, he doesn't react to my breast milk (I eat dairy).

We use Koko (coconut milk) and Oatly (with added calcium) for cooking and got prescribed Nutramigen via the GP (after extensive nagging smile). He's still breastfed but at least no more expressing now. Nutramigen tastes and smells disgusting but DS doesn't seem to mind.

I'm still amazed at the change in my boy once we stopped Dairy and Soya. grin

Good luck OP.

mrs2cats Tue 23-Apr-13 20:25:21

I'm going back a few years cos my DD is now almost 10! However, I don't think I managed to find a non-prescription formula that worked. DD was prescribed Nutramigen and that really did work (alongside some medicines).

'Normal' formula and soya were no good at all although soya was better than cow's milk formula. I recall trying goats milk formula and that was slightly better for her but she was still intolerant.

DD definitely reacted when I had dairy and in the end I gave up breastfeeding.

Definitely keep a diary with everything that happens with DS and feeding. I did with my DD and the it really helped the consultant with diagnosis etc.

TinyDiamond Tue 23-Apr-13 20:18:01

My dd has severe cows milk protein and soy intolerances. It was a total nightmare for us. She was incredibly sensitive to anything through my bm too so if your ds isn't it's a really good sign and he may be able to tolerate something like aptimil pepti, this is supposedly the most palatable of a bad bunch of hypoallergenic formulas. It is hydrolysed where it is still made from cow milk but the proteins have been broken down much smaller so they are easier tolerated.

My dd has/had neocate which is for more sensitive or allergic babies. Most chemists will be able to order in tins of these formulas for you. It's super pricy though. ASDA pharmacy quoted me £18 for a small tin of nutramigin so it would cost you alot if you were paying for all this yourself and if he went onto the formula full time.

It took us ages to get into the NHS system nobody took us seriously at all until I ended up having two hospital stays for 3 nights each with dd as she was so ill, but a friend going through similar has managed to get a dietician appt for her 6month old was frerred in March and appt is in June but it could be different where you are. In terms of an actual peadatrician ref I don't know dd just ended up under one after the hosp stays.

Plus, a better starting point for you guys may be the dieticians as at leaST They will have experience of this, the doctors don't always know what they are talking about for every problem and ours certainly didn't have a clue about infant nutrition...so although they are 'higher up' they aren't experts unless you hit jackpot and get an allergist the chances of which are so slim.

In the mean time unless you get on well with expressing you could mix porridge or any cereals(if he has it) with oatly milk or oatly cream if you worry about calorie intake it's 75p per carton from any supermarket. We use oatly, almond milk and kara coconut milk a combination of these with the occasional neocate when she decides to drink it and dd has done really well on this

10000Fireflies Tue 23-Apr-13 20:00:14

Hi Tiny. As far as I can tell, I don't think he does react if I have dairy myself, but I'm not absolutely certain though. I might keep a food diary along with tracking what he's having just in case. I have to remind myself that I'm lucky it seems to be only a mild allergy/intolerance, but it is a pain even so as he's had very unsettled sleep for a couple of months now and I'd like to be certain what he can have in the way of milk when he turns one too. Still, another tooth through this avo, so perhaps tonight will be a better nights sleep now we really are EBF again.

What are your experiences on the subject?

TinyDiamond Tue 23-Apr-13 18:58:44

I'm asking to try and gauge how sensitive he is. there's plenty of options. all of which are unfortunately expensive

TinyDiamond Tue 23-Apr-13 18:57:52

do you eat dairy yourself? does he react when he has breast milk and you've eaten it?

10000Fireflies Mon 22-Apr-13 23:19:24

No worries, really Jilted. My brain is not retaining much at the moment, so the reminder is appreciated!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Apr-13 21:57:30

Sorry fire I'm a bugger for replying before I look to see who it is! Hope you get your appt soon.

10000Fireflies Mon 22-Apr-13 21:53:34

Hi Jilted thanks for reminder on TT. Must make a note to bring that up with paediatrician. Don't think it's sleep regression - had that at 8 months..... but having read that link, maybe it was/is. Been EBF in past 48 hours and he seems much improved. I posted on the BF/FF page and got some helpful replies there on possible formulas. Hopefully will get this sorted soon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Apr-13 21:32:53

Can't help you on the formula sorry but has Lo been checked for tongue tie? It could be a cause of the wind.

Also endless bfing at 9 months is normal and could be the 9 month sleep regression and should soon pass.

Hope you get some suggestions on the formula.

10000Fireflies Sun 21-Apr-13 22:34:57

Can anyone help me please? Which formulas with hydrolyzed milk proteins can be bought without a prescription? If you've used any of them with your DCs, which brand worked best?

I am doing my nut waiting for Paediatric referral apt, and I am sure the problem is easily solved - when DS has cows milk formula he is v uncomfy at night - wriggles and thrashes making for sleepless nights for the both of us. Seems to have trapped wind and the only way to comfort him is endless comfort BFding, which is Doc seems unable/unwilling to help and who knows how long referral apt will take!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now