To think that weaning with baby food from jars is fine?

(174 Posts)
joannita Sat 20-Apr-13 23:54:45

It's specially developed for babies right? So how come everyone is dead against it? I don't think 50p a jar is that expensive either. Baby led weaning ain't going to work for my twins. They choke alarmingly as soon as they bite a piece off anything. Pureeing stuff is a pain. So I'm doing jars.

joannita Sun 21-Apr-13 00:19:35

I am surprised about nutrients thing. I thought they were fortified with vitamins like breakfast cereal

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 21-Apr-13 00:20:00

oh well, if you're not going to change the salt thing then don't give the kids your food. it seems crackers to me, though. just salt at the table.

gobbin Sun 21-Apr-13 00:20:59

I never pureed a damn thing! Son weaned on baby rice and jars. He's now a healthy 16 yr old who'll eat anything.

But what do I know, that was the dark ages of 16 years ago convenience baby-raising. It's all feeding-nazis and thought police now. Wean from jars at your peril!!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 21-Apr-13 00:21:04

did you read that alphamummy link? i would, ironically enough, take it with a pinch of salt because she's a bit of a snobby cah by her own admission, but in general the picture is Not Good.

pictish Sun 21-Apr-13 00:21:23

The baby food jars do stink don't they?

I used a lot of jars for my oldest daughter. I was 21 when she was born, knew very few people with babies and dh and I kind of made our way through as best we could. Boots did a fab range at the time of 'continental meals' which I really enjoyed buying (very cute jars grin). Their egg custard was a brilliant one to have in the changing bag for emergency food. For the other two I cooked a lot more and though dd3 was started on puree in exactly the same way as the others I was much bolder with giving her stuff to gnaw on than I had been with the other two (had heard of BLW by then grin) If you looked now at my dds (aged between 15 and 6 today) I guarantee you would not be able to tell who had had more from a jar.
Babies need to be fed. If they are thriving you've done your job. Getting het up about the ins and outs of this is just stupid.

larks35 Sun 21-Apr-13 00:22:46

YANBU jars are fine and yes I've tasted them myself and agree they lack seasoning and are often a bit watery but hey-ho!
I find that my DD 1yo will enjoy a bit of slush (jar or homemade) and then a bit of a chew on something. She often has a bit of what DS is having.
I buy baby jars because I work full-time and don't always have the time to make the carefully balanced meals she needs.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 21-Apr-13 00:24:12

pretty much all jarred stuff imo honks as you open it, though, the air that's been trapped at the top always stinks, must be the canning process.

notso Sun 21-Apr-13 00:24:17

I don't really think jars are easier than mashing up a bit of whatever we're having, plus I think the jars and pouches are way too smooth, even the lumpy ones. With exception of DD who was weaned when the advice was 4 months, I've never really made puree's just mashed up food.

notso Sun 21-Apr-13 00:26:50

I could eat happily eat Hipp's cocoa and vanilla dessert all day though blush

pictish Sun 21-Apr-13 00:27:21

I'm just glad I'm past all that now.

GadaboutTheGreat Sun 21-Apr-13 00:27:36

I've never used jars with my DC. I want to know what I'm feeding them even if they still turn their nose up at it.
If I wouldn't eat it, I sure ain't gonna feed it to my DC confused

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 21-Apr-13 00:29:30

oh yes, me too, pictish.

Cravingdairy Sun 21-Apr-13 00:30:21

Spoon feeding is a total PITA. I would rather spend the time cooking a meal we can all eat.

joannita Sun 21-Apr-13 00:30:21

Thanks for the replies its very interesting to hear so many different points of view. I'm off to bed now

Dh used to polish off any of the Boots lasagne that dd left grin The Dutch Apple compote was fab.
Gobbin - dd1 was 15 yesterday. Must have been the thing to do then. I can remember a lot of stress being laid on salt levels in adult food. I was always very conscious of that - I wonder of that's why we used jars? Because we were led to think them safer?

HeyYoniYoni Sun 21-Apr-13 00:31:22

Feed your baby what suits you

Personally I wouldn't like no fresh food whatever in my diet. But that's me. And you are you.

MagratGarlik Sun 21-Apr-13 00:31:26

They may be fortified with vitamins, but nutrients are rather more complex than vitamins. For example, there are few polyphenols in baby jars. This affects many things including but not restricted to gut microbes. Your gut microbes have an enormous influence on health.

OnTheNingNangNong Sun 21-Apr-13 00:32:16

I'm another who would only feed it to the DC. if I would eat it.

But I'm not bothered by what anyone else does tbh.

abbyfromoz Sun 21-Apr-13 00:37:16

I would give DD the occasional jar or pouch when out and about, but never bought the ones with meat in... It doesn't seem right that meat can survive so long in a jar without refrigeration- not to mention i wasn't really sure of the grade of meat being used. DD wasn't introduced to meat though until about 12 months.

Bunbaker Sun 21-Apr-13 00:39:26

I spent hours preparing and freezing home cooked food from scratch for DD when she was a baby and she wouldn't eat any of it until had the idea of mixing it up with some of a the powdered baby food that you make up.

She had a tracheostomy so giving her lumpy food wasn't possible until she was older. The term BLW wasn't around and wouldn't have worked for DD as she was always very uninterested in food as a baby. As she was only on the 2nd centile I couldn't just leave it until she decided she really was hungry.

I think some of the smug mums on here probably don't realise how much extra work looking after twins is, especially if you have a three year old as well.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Apr-13 00:42:19

Where are the smug mums? I can't see any here.

Maryz Sun 21-Apr-13 00:57:12

I would have used jars only ds1 wouldn't eat them. I have now discovered that i was doing BLW (I thought I was shoving a variety of food on his high chair tray).

Jars, powdered food, BLW, who cares. As long as your baby gets enough to eat (and watch that he/she gets enough iron either through breast milk or formula) he/she will be fine.

I don't know any teenagers who can't eat lumps.

I don't know any teenagers who have stunted growth due to lack of nutrients.

Twins and a three year old = hard work. Don't make it harder (though as they get older it would be a good idea not to add salt to your cooking, feed it to all your children, and only add extra salt for yourself at the table).

SirBoobAlot Sun 21-Apr-13 01:06:42

I used the odd jar. Mainly batch cooked and froze stuff. Did three different meals at once, then had several to choose from, didn't take all that long.

I didn't like not knowing what DS was eating, really.

BLW was the easiest thing to do. Next time I won't bother with spoon feeding fuss at all.

SirBoobAlot Sun 21-Apr-13 01:07:56

Though... You say you don't want the fuss of cooking for your twins, and say your MIL puts loads of salt into the food. So what does your three year old eat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now