M&S kids ready meals for 9 month old ok?

(13 Posts)
Rowanred Fri 19-Apr-13 14:27:04

My dd is 9 months and we have been doing BLW which is going well. Last night I gave her an M&S kids ready meal that I had actually bought for my older child and she loved it! Do you think these are ok for under 1's, or no better than a jar/pouch which I would never ever use?! They look fresh and like real food, unlike the pouches which look disgusting but not sure if I'm just kidding myself!

We do normally eat fresh food but if these are ok once or twice a week it would make life easier!

givemeaclue Fri 19-Apr-13 14:28:28

Check salt content

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 19-Apr-13 14:28:48

I would use an Ella's pouch or Plum pot ahead of a ready meal for a 9 month old any day. They are perfectly good food.

I won't even give my 4 year old ready meals because they are so loaded with salt. Did you look to see how salty it is?

lurcherlover Fri 19-Apr-13 14:31:34

Most kids' ready meals don't have salt added.

Rowanred Fri 19-Apr-13 14:32:54

No the salt content is low I did check that!

givemeaclue Fri 19-Apr-13 14:34:18

But children under one shouldn't have any salt. So they shouldn't have even things that are low salt, how much salt was in it?

Rowanred Fri 19-Apr-13 14:41:09

In half a portion which is what she ate it was 0.2g. I thought it was up to 1g salt a day for under 1's?

lurcherlover Fri 19-Apr-13 14:45:50

It's up to 1g a day for under-ones. Realistically if you are giving them toast etc it's impossible to avoid a bit of salt.

lurcherlover Fri 19-Apr-13 14:46:42

Just make sure it's 0.2g of salt, not sodium.

givemeaclue Fri 19-Apr-13 14:48:10

I wouldn't worry about it, but they get enough salt from breast milk or formula so don't need salted meals. There are lots of no salt pouches etc available

Rowanred Fri 19-Apr-13 15:01:14

Lurchlover what is the difference? The label says " 0.08 sodium, equivalent as salt 0.2g"

Is salt the only reason not to use ready meals? If it is I don't know why more people don't buy theses instead of pouches/jars! They actually taste nice and look like real food. I bought a few pouches and the best before date being a year or 2 in the future put me right off as well as the fact they tasted bland and the texture was so gloopy!

Just not sure if I am missing something re ready meals for babies, why do more companies not market them, they just seem nicer than a jar of food with a bb date 3 years in the future!

lurcherlover Fri 19-Apr-13 15:09:14

That's fine - sometimes labels only give sodium content rather than salt as sodium looks lower so it's misleading. If a label only gives the sodium content of food, multiply it by 2.5 and that's the salt content. Keep it below 1g a day and you're fine.

Rowanred Fri 19-Apr-13 15:11:11

Oh that's good to know, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now