4 month old ready to wean?

(9 Posts)
ThreeWheelsGood Tue 09-Apr-13 23:36:27

OP - the NHS website has really good guidance on starting solids including the signs of readiness, Google it smile

geologygirl Sun 07-Apr-13 23:01:39

Sorry no idea how many ounces of milk my LO had really....he was EBF for a year. But I guess it varied maybe. I deffo think you should take a step back and go back to milk only. Of course she is curious but doesn't mean to say she is truly ready yet. Take your time as there really is no rush. Let her be a baby :-)

Flisspaps Sun 07-Apr-13 19:46:16

Signs of readiness to wean include sitting unaided, and loss of the tongue thrust reflex. Showing interest in you eating is a bit of a red herring - babies show interest in everything you do!

It's fine for babies to take odd amounts of milk at meals - you might fancy a big breakfast and just a small dinner yourself!

I'd leave the weaning for now, try again in a few weeks.

Lynz1987 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:44:53

Thank u for your responses, thistlelicker- how do you no when baby is ready what signs should I look out for, for baby led weaning??

Fairylea Sun 07-Apr-13 19:38:21

Way too early!

Any baby will open their mouth if you put something near it, it's how they learn what everything is. 6 months is about right to start weaning, they should be able to sit largely unsupported and be able to reach out and grab food and bring it to their mouths regardless of whether you intend to baby led wean or use puree.

Baby rice is largely pointless as well. It is just a bulking agent really. Better to wait till 6 months and they can have.much more nutritious foods to try.

Both my dc were great milk fans and regularly downed 8oz bottles every 2 hours but I just fed as needed and waited till 6 months before starting weaning.

Also hungry baby milk is harder to digest so it's best to just feed more of the normal first milk.

thistlelicker Sun 07-Apr-13 19:36:24

Isn't weaning on demand? When baby dictates? Sorry if that's wrong information

Lynz1987 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:32:36

Thanks I'm considering that it may have been too early, just out of curiosity how much milk did your LO have at 4 months? sometimes LO has 6oz then other times its 3? Is this normal?

geologygirl Sun 07-Apr-13 19:26:53

Well I think you have started weaning too early. Not sure why everyone is always in such a rush to be honest! A baby's digestive system needs time to develop. 6 months should be the earliest time for weaning IMO. Probably why she's having reactions.

Lynz1987 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:22:42

Hi my daughter is 4 months old and we have started weaning only baby rice and we are on 3rd day. We started early as LO showed so much interest in us eating if you put a spoon to her mouth she imediatley opened up, and she seems to have a strong chewing/smacking her lips instinct.....
A few questions
1/ she appears to have started with a slight pimply rash on her torso is this an allergic reaction to the rice?
2/ she had dreadful tummy pains before pooing today (day no3) but LO has had bad wind tummy troubles before coincidence?
3/ how much did other people's babies have milk wise before they started weaning? LO has 6oz 4 times a day plus additional feed at night at the moment (growth spurt)
Any responses/answers welcome :0)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now