Carrot stix?

(4 Posts)
Wildwaterfalls Tue 02-Apr-13 19:02:33

BLW going well here, particularly when we're at home.

Sometimes when we are out and about I like to bring a snack for DD, generally rice cakes or fruit she can hold. But struggling to think of snack ideas.

I try not to spend lots on baby specific snacks. However, today I was browsing in the supermarket and saw Organix carrot 'stix', and thought they might be a good out and about snack. Having bought them though I read on the package that they're not suitable until 12 months.

Does anyone know why? I tried them and she'd certainly manage the texture - she can eat meat, toast etc. So why do you think it might be?

Trivial question but it annoys me now that I have bought them!

Because the baby food company don't want you to sue them if your baby chokes so they make anything remotely textured 'Suitable from' a much higher age than they need to be. The mushy baby food is another cases in point - the stuff suitable 'from 10 months' is actually fine from 6 months but if you give it to a younger baby than they advise, and they choke, m
well, they did clearly tell you, didn't they?

They don't have any qualms about going completely against WHO advice and advertising other stuff 'from four months' though...hmm capitalist twats

Wildwaterfalls Tue 02-Apr-13 20:22:08

Hm yes I wondered whether it was some lawsuit thing. Very silly!

Reaffirms my decision to stay away from baby branded foods....

MissTapestry Tue 02-Apr-13 21:24:36

They stain like an absolute bastard as well. I have them to DD about 2 weeks after starting BLW, she loved it but I couldn't cope with the mess.
The sweetcorn ring things are ok though, handy to have in the changing bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now