Inspiration for freezable meals

(19 Posts)
sharond101 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:27:12

DH not SH!

sharond101 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:14:40

It is and really taty too, me and SH always sneak a spoonful each.

Thurlow Mon 08-Apr-13 11:32:32

Sorry, I forgot to come back - thanks for these! I'll get on the risotto tonight with the leftover chicken, and sharon's chicken and sweet potato sounds really easy, I'll give that a bash too.

sharond101 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:34:30

Dice chicken breast and slice half an onion. Peel 2 sweet potatoesand cut into cubes. Gently fry the onion in oil in a saucepan and when soft add the chicken. Cook for 2 minutes then add sweet potatoes. Add 100ml of stock or water and simmer for 8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup frozen peas and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes longer.

Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 14:41:28

Re the risotto Thurlow, I suspect you would need to add a little more liquid when you defrost it to "reconstitute" it as rice does absorb a lot of liquid as it cools. I'm just guessing here though

Umm I tend to just do bacon...

Onion or leek
Rice
Wine (optional wink)
Stock
Bacon
Peas
Sometimes mint
Parmesan

I usually leave it with a bit of extra liquid if I freeze it so it's not quite all absorbed.

Thurlow Mon 01-Apr-13 13:14:34

No need for apologies!

Spotty, what kind of risotto did you make? I remember freezing risotto before and it never turned out well, but I'm sure I was just doing something wrong!

Mashed potato mixed with tinned tuna and spring onions made into patties and flour/egg/breadcrumbs (plain, no Parmesan). Then cook until breadcrumbs are coloured and it's hot through. Again I just make up quantities as I go along grin

Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 12:49:31

Thanks spotty smile

& yes please to the tuna cakes (sorry for hijacking OP smile)

I also make my own tuna fish cakes but I fry these, I'm sure you could oven them too if you want the recipe?

Yep smile

Chicken breasts cut into goujons
Three Tupperware containers one with plain flour 50g ish
One with a beaten egg
One with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan (both shop bought) I also add salt and pepper but wouldn't for tiny ones.

Roll chicken in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Place on backing tray and cook at 180 for 25 minute.

I don't tend to measure anything just tip it in. You can always add some more or chuck the leftovers.

Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 11:28:32

Ooh spotty can I have the recipe for the goujons please?

I used to do mini cottage pies, risotto, chicken casserole, chilli, roast dinners grin, moussaka, umm homemade goujons, also did portions of mash that could be eaten with beans and cheese or tuna etc

Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 11:19:49
Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 11:17:53
Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 11:15:47

Hmm my dd is only 6 months so I spoon feed her, hopefully someone with more experience will be able to tell you more about the soup thing..

Tomato pasta sauce:

1 fairly large onion (or 2 smaller ones) - not those massive Spanish onions - chopped fairly small,
1 or 2 cloves of garlic sliced thinly (if you have a good fine grater, grate them),
2 tins of whole plum tomatoes (get the cheapest you can & roughly chop them in the tin with a long knife - you can break them up further in the pan)

Put a little oil in a large saucepan, put heat on low & wait for oil to become hot (not smoking) & then add onion. Sauté onion for about 2-5 mins until soft & then add the garlic & sauté for another minute.
Add the tomatoes & break up in the pan with a wooden spoon. Turn the heat up a bit to get the pan to simmering point & then turn the heat back down to low. Leave pan uncovered, stir from time to time to prevent sticking, for about 30-60 mins - what you're looking for is for all the liquid to evaporate & a thick tomatoey mixture to be left. Keep heat on low for this, but make sure pan is lightly simmering all the time. Don't be tempted to turn the heat up to rush it, you want the slow cooking to give it flavour.

When sauce is ready, season to taste (you won't need much anyway as the cooking will have intensified the flavour). I would say this will serve around 4 adults.

Thurlow Mon 01-Apr-13 10:54:05

grin Recipes would help too - as I said, cooking is not my forte (though I'm making an effort as I want DD to eat better than I did growing up)

How well can a 15mo manage eating soup? She's not mastered feeding herself with a spoon yet, mainly as she's realised that an adult feeding her with a spoon is much quicker and more satisfying.

Forgetfulmog Mon 01-Apr-13 10:50:47

Anything with mince - bolognese etc
Tomato pasta sauce
Leek & potato soup
Beetroot soup

Sorry, were you looking for actual recipes or just ideas?

Thurlow Mon 01-Apr-13 10:47:11

Due to our jobs DP and I generally eat our main meals at work, so we're not often cooking food which can be set aside for our 15mo, though we do freeze up chilli, stew, spag bol etc when we make it. DD also eats her main meal at 12, often at the CM's, and as the CM has several little ones who do irregular hours it works out best for everyone (and at the moment I'm sure it's cheaper!) if they bring their own lunch with them. So I find it easier to batch cook regularly and then just defrost something for her lunchbox.

At the moment I do lentil and veg stew, and pasta and tuna etc which work well. I'm not a great cook and try to make DD's meals while doing other housework.

Does anyone have any other good recipes that freeze well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now