BLW support thread anyone?

(314 Posts)
MrsNPattz Sun 31-Mar-13 19:50:06

Just wondered if anyone wanted to join me on our BLW adventure, I could do with it (see my earlier thread)! We went to my uncles today, luckily my cousin did BLW with her two little ones so they were very accommodating and he tried carrot, sprout, broccoli, turkey and potato! It was very successful and it was lovely having my cousin to talk to! Unfortunately she doesn't live near us, but is at the end of the phone! What did your babies eat today?

Nicknamefail Thu 25-Apr-13 23:02:02

Oh, complete fail on broccoli and omelette though. (V sad as broccoli is my favourite veg and this was the second fail.)

FadBook Fri 26-Apr-13 04:46:22

Sons think like 17 times you need to offer food before they'll accept it. Keep offering Nick.

Dd was never a lover of peas. At 20 months, she decides she likes them. They've been offered every time we've had them! gringrin

FadBook Fri 26-Apr-13 04:46:52

Sons = some ...

Nicknamefail Fri 26-Apr-13 13:12:31

Thanks Fad. Will try again next week. She just enjoyed a little lamb stew. Think it went down well as it had been cooked so long that it pretty much disintegrated when she put it in her mouth. God bless the slow cooker. smile

MsJupiterJones Sat 27-Apr-13 20:55:11

Nickname my DS is having days when he likes things and days when he looks like this confused about the same food! Cucumber and avocado in the last week for example.

I just leave it and offer again a couple of days later.

DS turned 6 months on Friday, we've been giving him bits of fruit & veg in the last couple of weeks. Tried fish last night but got shudders, today had chicken salad for lunch (loved) and spag bol for dinner (messy but fun!)

Don't know if I'm trying too many new things at once but he seems to be enjoying it so I guess it's ok!

Hurrah! After MONTHS of trying, crying, & spoons, DD has finally figured out how to get food into her own mouth. It's her 1st birthday in 10 days... I am so relieved!

gringringringringrin

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Apr-13 08:42:51

Woohoo! V happy for you. Have some wine

Bit early for me but I will later! She's now sitting on the floor, watching Zingzillas & dancing, fig biscuit crumbs everywhere grin I know naughty biscuits, I'm probably a bad mum but she is nearly 1. Woohoo! Must go & sweep up now.

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Apr-13 09:09:06

Nomnom fig biscuits.

Both I & dd have colds & are feeling v sorry for ourselves. Has anyone else had a weird virus thing that consists of a sore throat that lasts for days & days & then shivery flu-like aches & pains??

Ugh I had that about a month ago, it's
horrible.

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Apr-13 09:28:53

How long did you have it for? Just so I can prepare myself!

About 5 days - sorry. I usually get better from colds etc quite quickly but this one really hung on.

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Apr-13 09:41:50

Well this is day 3 so over halfway there! Thanks smile

We have DD some cucumber yesterday. She loved it but woke up a few times in the night, very farty! Is this normal? She's not had it before but hasn't so far had any obvious reactions to other foods & she eats a really wide range of food.

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Apr-13 11:26:07

has anyone seen this website?

Thanks forgetfulmog I've just added that to my favourites. Now DD has figured it out, there are SO MANY more food options compared to spoon feeds. grin

slightlysoupstained Sun 28-Apr-13 15:25:53

50shades Yay for your DD - have fun exploring all that lovely new stuff!

Forgetfulmog Finally got around to making the [[http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/ banana oat cookies] you suggested way back up there somewhere - amazed how straightforward they are, and how nice! DS chomped away happily on them so next batch will do for the freezer I think.

He's now 8 months so we've been doing this for 2 months now. He suddenly seems to have started to eat a lot more - we went to Ikea on Friday and I got him a kids plate of cheesey tomatoey pasta, expecting he'd chomp a few pieces and I'd eat the rest, but he kept stuffing it in, bouncing up and down for a bit while he chomped (I find this particularly cute), then looking at me for some more. Not sure if this will last or whether he'll go back to nibbling the odd bit here and there. He still drops plenty though.

Nicknamefail Sun 28-Apr-13 17:54:53

50shades - all food seems to make my dd very farty It must be genetic

nicknamefail I think you are right - it's genetic!

Forgetfulmog Mon 29-Apr-13 11:15:43

We tried the porridge fingers this morning - Mrspatz it was you that recommended them wasn't it? Thank you! - & dd loved them! Gave her a couple & then decided that was probably enough, but I suspect she'd have quite happily nommed the lot!

Forgetfulmog Mon 29-Apr-13 11:16:49

Also, on that website link I gave you all, there's a recipe for carrot & lentil cakes - made them yesterday & they were a massive hit! Even DH said he would eat them!

MsJupiterJones Mon 29-Apr-13 11:38:44

Are people adding food in stages or just going for it? I only offered fruit & veg pre-six months but since then (Friday!) have offered meat, potato, pasta & bread. Haven't offered eggs but was thinking of doing so. Is this ok do you think? I was reading the NHS trad weaning guide I was given just out of interest & it recommends no wheat, potato etc until 7 months. What do people think?

violetta555 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:13:55

MsJJ Personally I'd do whatever you feel comfortable with (this may be dictated by any known allergies in the family - DH had problems with dairy as a kid so we held off on that for a while and introduced it slowly) and let your LO's reactions (and nappies) be your guide! grin

We offered DD little bits of all our main meals, except salty/sugary/choky stuff, and she could pick and choose which bits she liked best.

For anyone whose LO loves cheese - Tesco do a reduced salt mild cheddar, probably only in bigger stores but you can get it online. I'm sure most reputable supermarket chains will have an equivalent...

MsJupiterJones Mon 29-Apr-13 14:35:19

Thanks violetta, that's what I thought but wondered if I was being a bit gung ho. We're avoiding dairy atm as he had a problem with it (he is mix fed) but was giving him bits of everything else. He is very enthusiastic about it all!

Rice cakes are also marked 7+ months but I know they are a popular BLW food so was thinking of trying some as would be handy for out and about.

HabitualLurker Tue 30-Apr-13 10:40:18

Ugh, I've been feeling very uninspired this past week, so thought I'd come and see if I can get some good ideas from you lot!

On one hand my DS is definitely getting better at eating; when I compare his skill in moving food around his mouth and swallowing (rather than dramatically gagging and puking!) it's pretty amazing. And he actually managed to get a spoon full of something into his mouth on his own the other day (I suspect it was entirely accidental). On the other hand, the vast majority of food still ends up on the floor or smeared over his body grin.

We're stuck in a bit of a rut - tending to give avocado, cucumber, orange, pear, toast, yoghurt, wheatibix, pasta, porridge. Basically stuff that's very easy to prepare, or that I'm making for myself anyway. I need to branch out, and I think the main problem is that I'm essentially lazy. I'm going to take a look at the BLW website for ideas I think.

We've not really given meat yet. He had some poached white fish once, which he seemed to like, but we don't eat a lot of meat ourselves and when we do it's quite processed and salty (sausages, chorizo etc), so not all that suitable. Anyone know if we should be making sure he has meat? (He's 7 months)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now