Why are baby jars of food bad?

(160 Posts)
WeeSooty Sat 30-Mar-13 22:44:29

I'm just about to start weaning my DD. Planning to do home cooked meals ect. However I have been given free samples of baby rice, a purée baby jar of food and a purée pouch of fruit. One of my friends in particular is horrified by this but can't seem to properly explain why other that not good for baby apparently. Are they really that bad and why are they so bad?

Thanks!

scottishmummy Tue 16-Apr-13 07:50:30

Mind you don't tumble dismounting that high horse you're on
Jars aren't mamas home cookin,that's for sure.but full of shit,nah
IMO,folk think home cooking difficult,fiddly,but it isn't -it's easy and cost effective

mummysbigsmiles Mon 15-Apr-13 20:59:20

The 'I like to make life easy' remark is thee perfect example of a lazy parent. So you would rather buy jars that have a load of crap in them and have been on the shelf for god knows how long than home cook your baby's food knowing exactly what's in it? You are most likely putting a load of shit into your baby's growing body, but hey, as long as you have an easy life! angry

I get so so much pleasure preparing all the fresh fruit & veg knowing that I am feeding my DD only the very best and most nutritious food that she can get, giving her the best start in life and hopefully setting her eating habits to a high standard for the future!

CurleySu Sun 14-Apr-13 16:38:28

I did my own fruit and veg for my son, cooked and blended it all up...
Then when I started with meals I just did the jars as I felt that I wasn't confident on making my own baby food.
Anyway I then weaned baby off the jar food I think maybe 9months but by then he was eating pasta, cheese, what ever I was eating at the time I would just pop in his mouth or he would snatch it off my plate! But he has never been fussy with food only when he is teething!
My sister fed her children on jars and never damaged them.

Only do what you are happy on doing, I'm kinder glad that I am at that stage with my son that I can give him anything and he will eat it, did go threw a phase of not wanting lunch but my friends baby did that and she never gave her baby jars.

Badgerina Sun 14-Apr-13 10:26:43

I think the Alpha Parent is a bit OTT in her delivery, but jars taste gross and are nutritionally deficient. If you're feeling poorly and not up to cooking, why not give your baby some finger foods to try? grin

Chockyeggpants Thu 11-Apr-13 21:20:09

DD was weaned on HiPP.
Someone phone social services as I'm an unfit mother obvs..

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 22:33:26

jars,pouches are safe,adequate and a great quick go to

WeeSooty Wed 03-Apr-13 22:28:29

I started the thread. But only to get opinions on baby jars and pouches. Well I've certainly read loads of opinions now!

Have decided to be a bit wary about that article, read a few of her other ones and her stance on ff just wound me right up!

We start weaning at the weekend, nervous and excited! I'm happier now I realise that the pouches and jars etc are ok for once in a blue moon. For example this week I've had a tummy bug and cannot face cooking, pouches would have been great!

Thanks everyone for the debate! smile

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 21:51:56

ellas are fab brand,not a fab wee price though
i thought they were all a bit homogeneous
weans loved em though

Angelico Wed 03-Apr-13 21:43:29

I'll forgive you. And since you used the word 'wee' a couple of posts back I'll even go halfers on a pouch of Ella's finest... wink

(Just not the sweet potato, broccoli and carrot one because it's fucking horrible and brought on the mother of all poonamis last night...)

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 21:34:47

indeed, ive acknowledged i got it wrong.i misread

Angelico Wed 03-Apr-13 21:21:17

Well as you can see I am not the OP. Hope that helps.

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 20:55:38

you, ive read post as you were the op.
you do like your hmmhumphy wee faces dont you
ella is a great brand, i used them we liked them but cookin is way cheaper

Angelico Wed 03-Apr-13 20:43:21

I have no idea who your response is to scottish as I didn't start the thread hmm And for me at the minute (factoring in shopping time, prep time, cooking time, energy bills, lost earnings time, amount DD eats) pouches are cheaper than cooking from scratch. No doubt in a few weeks time when she's eating more and a greater variety that will change. But I can assure you for the moment pouches are saving me time AND money.

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 12:40:17

Spend own money as you wish but pouches are overpriced and costs more than homemake
Did you start thread to get animated and say won't be told how to spend own money?
Jar,pouch are safe and adequate.but kidding your self on they're cheaper,well as you say bollocks indeed

Angelico Wed 03-Apr-13 00:00:04

Gosh this thread has run and run! We are away from home at the minute and I am more pleased than ever with the little pouches - DD is loving them. Tonight she had organic sweet potato, broccoli and carrot in an Ella's pouch. It's the only one I haven't liked the taste and smell of - but that doesn't matter as DD wolfed it down.

That blog link left me a bit hmm I agree it was cobbled together and didn't differentiate between different types of jars etc. The main criticism of the Ella's pouches seemed to be that it was more expensive than making it - which is bollocks unless I happen to be making those foods for us - and frankly I don't need anyone else telling me how to spend my money. DD is only 2 weeks into weaning and with a few finger foods and some mash I think they're great! Once she's eating a bit more she'll start getting more of what we're getting.

Startail Tue 02-Apr-13 20:12:19

Blessed was organix korma, for it was the only think DD1 would eat without a fuss.

Many many jars of it were consumed at GParents, in restaurants, cafés and motorway services.

It made leaving the house possible.

DD1 grew up to be a really sensible eater, DD2 who ate beautifully as a baby and BF too, was a horribly fussy toddler and is still a pain aged 12.

Believe me what they eat as babies has no bearing on their ability to. become stubborn control freaks.

But baby jars are jars! nothing inherently wrong with them, but surely no one thinks a diet solely comprised of heat treated, preserved food (or whatever it is they do to get it "jar ready") with a best before date of 2 years hence is fine?
I eat jars of pasta sauce. Tins of beans. But I do try to get some fresh food in my diet. Why would you feed a child under 18 months an entirely jarred diet? Organic - fine, wonderful. but it's not fresh.

Loupee Tue 02-Apr-13 19:45:07

I agree with diddle do your own research on the article before you make any assumptions from it. The author jumps between US/UK/other European laws and regulations regarding baby food. Some of the studies the author refers to use very small sample groups and are designed to prove a point already made.
In the UK the regulations for baby food are much stricter than in the US, and also stricter than the regulations for 'proper' food here in the UK.
The article is designed to shock and scaremonger, to make ordinary mothers feel like failures.
I probably use a 50/50 split between home cooked food and jars/pouches for my 8 month old. Going on holiday next week and will use all jars and pouches.
I know a new mum who read that article (it's been around for years) and decided to do 'baby eats what we eat' only problem being, they eat pizzas, chicken nuggets, chips, crisps etc she claimed it was better for her baby as 'jars are full of rubbish' you might think she is a bit dim, but if that is all she knows!

It is just a social convention to serve some food hot and some cold. Babies and toddlers are unaware of this so it really doesn't matter if jarred food is heated or not.

Once they hit 6/7 months its easy to take soft cheese/peanut butter sandwiched cut into fingers or rice cakes, soft fruit sticks etc out and about. I don't judge those who use jars but its not nice seeing them given cold. Who wants to eat cold stew. Unless your in a cafe where they will warm it up for u, in which case if ur sat at a table with ur coffee/lunch then its no easier to give jars than a finger food lunch .

Yes, I'm a little shocked at a 2 year old having 2-3 jars a week too ceeveebee - We've got 2 left in the cupboard, and I'll be buying no more, now that LO will be one in a months time (when the feck did that happpen??!).

The overwhelming majority of his food at 11 months (and since he's been about 8 months old), is served in front of him on his table/in the suction bowl. We have a spoon each, and he uses his hands too. If he doesn't want to eat it, we stop. He eats mostly what we eat - pasta, rice dishes, all sorts. Nothing (aside from fresh bananas) has been rejected yet smile

ceeveebee Mon 01-Apr-13 21:08:05

I've been doing that with my two since they were about 12 months old - I serve up and either they eat it or they don't.

I'm a little shocked at jars being used for older babies/toddlers -I do use the odd ready meal (eg if DH and I are out for dinner) for my 16 mo DTs like "little dish" or "cook" but its proper food like fish pie or lasagne, not purée/mush.

Bonsoir Mon 01-Apr-13 20:03:07

I think there is a point (probably when DC are 3 or thereabouts) when you just serve up family meals to everyone and it is take-it-or-leave-it, albeit with the obligation to taste at least a forkful of everything... and no alternatives.

scottishmummy Mon 01-Apr-13 18:54:40

No.as i said jars completely acceptable,useful but have upper age limit
regular food with your family is best.I've not introduced "research" to berate jars
No one has said jar,pouch is maternal failing.cause that's how bf/ff threads go

DieWilde13 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:52:01

This thread made me laugh!
We were in Germany when my 2 were weaned and German children are weaned exclusively on jars.
Most German mothers would consider opinions on this thread totally bonkers.

Baby jars are (mostly) organic and produced to extremely high standards. I very much doubt that my cooking is comparable.

Incidentally, I know farmers who grow carrots for a baby jar company and they have to follow extremely tight guidelines in order for their carrots to qualify.

IMHO this whole discussion is very much comparable to bf vs. ff and only serves to make mothers feel inadequate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now