Why are baby jars of food bad?

(160 Posts)
WeeSooty Sat 30-Mar-13 22:44:29

I'm just about to start weaning my DD. Planning to do home cooked meals ect. However I have been given free samples of baby rice, a purée baby jar of food and a purée pouch of fruit. One of my friends in particular is horrified by this but can't seem to properly explain why other that not good for baby apparently. Are they really that bad and why are they so bad?

Thanks!

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 21:34:47

indeed, ive acknowledged i got it wrong.i misread

Angelico Wed 03-Apr-13 21:43:29

I'll forgive you. And since you used the word 'wee' a couple of posts back I'll even go halfers on a pouch of Ella's finest... wink

(Just not the sweet potato, broccoli and carrot one because it's fucking horrible and brought on the mother of all poonamis last night...)

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 21:51:56

ellas are fab brand,not a fab wee price though
i thought they were all a bit homogeneous
weans loved em though

WeeSooty Wed 03-Apr-13 22:28:29

I started the thread. But only to get opinions on baby jars and pouches. Well I've certainly read loads of opinions now!

Have decided to be a bit wary about that article, read a few of her other ones and her stance on ff just wound me right up!

We start weaning at the weekend, nervous and excited! I'm happier now I realise that the pouches and jars etc are ok for once in a blue moon. For example this week I've had a tummy bug and cannot face cooking, pouches would have been great!

Thanks everyone for the debate! smile

scottishmummy Wed 03-Apr-13 22:33:26

jars,pouches are safe,adequate and a great quick go to

Chockyeggpants Thu 11-Apr-13 21:20:09

DD was weaned on HiPP.
Someone phone social services as I'm an unfit mother obvs..

Badgerina Sun 14-Apr-13 10:26:43

I think the Alpha Parent is a bit OTT in her delivery, but jars taste gross and are nutritionally deficient. If you're feeling poorly and not up to cooking, why not give your baby some finger foods to try? grin

CurleySu Sun 14-Apr-13 16:38:28

I did my own fruit and veg for my son, cooked and blended it all up...
Then when I started with meals I just did the jars as I felt that I wasn't confident on making my own baby food.
Anyway I then weaned baby off the jar food I think maybe 9months but by then he was eating pasta, cheese, what ever I was eating at the time I would just pop in his mouth or he would snatch it off my plate! But he has never been fussy with food only when he is teething!
My sister fed her children on jars and never damaged them.

Only do what you are happy on doing, I'm kinder glad that I am at that stage with my son that I can give him anything and he will eat it, did go threw a phase of not wanting lunch but my friends baby did that and she never gave her baby jars.

mummysbigsmiles Mon 15-Apr-13 20:59:20

The 'I like to make life easy' remark is thee perfect example of a lazy parent. So you would rather buy jars that have a load of crap in them and have been on the shelf for god knows how long than home cook your baby's food knowing exactly what's in it? You are most likely putting a load of shit into your baby's growing body, but hey, as long as you have an easy life! angry

I get so so much pleasure preparing all the fresh fruit & veg knowing that I am feeding my DD only the very best and most nutritious food that she can get, giving her the best start in life and hopefully setting her eating habits to a high standard for the future!

scottishmummy Tue 16-Apr-13 07:50:30

Mind you don't tumble dismounting that high horse you're on
Jars aren't mamas home cookin,that's for sure.but full of shit,nah
IMO,folk think home cooking difficult,fiddly,but it isn't -it's easy and cost effective

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now