Why are baby jars of food bad?

(160 Posts)
WeeSooty Sat 30-Mar-13 22:44:29

I'm just about to start weaning my DD. Planning to do home cooked meals ect. However I have been given free samples of baby rice, a purée baby jar of food and a purée pouch of fruit. One of my friends in particular is horrified by this but can't seem to properly explain why other that not good for baby apparently. Are they really that bad and why are they so bad?

Thanks!

WeeSooty Sat 30-Mar-13 23:28:50

Yeah I must admit that article is making me look at the free samples in a whole new, and not very good, light! Ah well it also came with a free spoon, least I can use that! grin

Blessyou Sat 30-Mar-13 23:36:08

The worst bit for me was the 'acceptable levels of contamination'. 15 fly eggs or 1 maggot are allowed etc [boak]

ariane5 Sat 30-Mar-13 23:37:58

Ds2 11months has a mixture of homecooked food and jars, he usually has porridge for breakfast, a jar for lunch and whatever we are having mashed up for dinner.

He seems to enjoy the jars/pouches as much as homecooked although he doesn't tend to like the fruit jars.

Viviennemary Sat 30-Mar-13 23:42:00

I believe in making life easy. I can't see the harm in jars and home cooked food. Why do women want to be martyrs. If they want to grow their own veg cook it, keep chickens then fine. But don't expect everyone else to do it. Life's too short. Nothing wrong with jars.

Creameggkr Sat 30-Mar-13 23:42:40

If my dd is teething or off colour there are one or two varieties of baby food that she will always eat.
If she hasn't eaten well for a few days I'm always really pleased to see her wolf down a dish of baby food.
I've always done mix of my food with the odd jar thrown in for convenience.
My five are all good adventures eaters

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sat 30-Mar-13 23:45:29

Not sure what keeping chickens has to do with anything? Strange remark.

Viviennemary Sat 30-Mar-13 23:51:07

You're right Yellow. It doesn't really. I got a bit carried away on my rant. grin

beanandspud Sat 30-Mar-13 23:52:43

Don't know whether this helps but DS had a lot of jars of baby food - they were convenient at the time and although I would have preferred to have weaned him on home-cooked meals it didn't quite work like that.

Fast-forward and at 5yrs old he eats everything - we go out for Chinese, Indian, Italian... He loves eating and having jars of baby food did him no harm whatsoever...

Please don't worry if you choose to use jars, it isn't necessarily an indicator of how your DC will eat in later life.

rainbowsprite1 Sat 30-Mar-13 23:55:35

I did BLW with both of mine but if they looked hungry they got mush. one of my DD's was bottlefed & got top notch organic mush. the other was breastfed & hated my fresh orgainic veg mush, but loved jars.... the end result... they are 5 & 6 and no one can tell me who was fed what as a baby.. my child who has eczema & allergy issues was breastfed, the child who has no issues & is totally fine is bottlefed & is my "sensitive" daughter...

Angelico Sat 30-Mar-13 23:57:23

We are using the little Ella's Kitchen pouches because DD (6 months) is having such tiny amounts of food at the minute. They are organic and don't appear to contain any nasties - which is more than can be said for the non-organic stuff we eat confused Once she's eating more textured stuff she'll just have what we're having - for now it's some Ella's fruit / veg purees and some finger food to gnaw on. She's loving it grin

DD loved Ella's pouches, but they struck me as being a bit low in protein (which it the most expensive ingredient generally). We were given some jars which included salt as an ingredient, obviously they didn't go near DD. I think they are variable in quality, so it is worth looking at them individually rather than as a whole and the protein thing would put me off over relying on them.

scottishmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 00:11:12

They're not bad,and can be useful back up.but homemade is way cheaper
I made purees and froze them as ice cubes,really easy to home cook
But no harm in jar or pouches at all

Weightlessbaby Sun 31-Mar-13 00:16:42

DD has a jar every now and then when we're out and about. I buy jars rather than pouches purely because of cost. IMO the jars seem to all have the same base orangey/tomatoey sauce with the other ingredients added; then the preserving processes that mean they all taste the same.

I happily eat this off a spoon to demonstrate to DD how lovely it is when she tries to feed me! I have eaten far worse in my student days, on various 'basic' holidays and don't see the problem with this kind of food from time to time.

At home we have freshly prepared food every night; the leftovers are mashed and frozen for the majority of DD's meals. We didn't do BLW but started DD on baby rice at 4 months, gradually introduced veg/fruit puress and started on finger foods at 6 months. She's 13 months now and eats everything (except milk now- she's never liked that!)

I think it depends how sensitive you are to food processing issuies. Would you eat the baby food? Would you eat processeed foods yourself? You don't sound like the sort of person who's going to end up with a child subsisting solely on junk so I wouldn't worry too much! (says the woman who was given disapproving stares in Maccy D's yesterday by parents of an Ella's pouch ehthusiast baby, as her DD munched on chips!)

Twentytotwo Sun 31-Mar-13 00:27:13

That article is really shocking. 'Beef' casserole that only has to have 10% beef in to meet legal requirements, water being the main ingredient followed by bulking agents and the use of trans fats. So basically watery, starchy mush with much less nutritional value than any home cooked version.

notcitrus Sun 31-Mar-13 00:36:04

Dc2 has eaten more ready made food than I'd like - but there is a difference with the pouches - firstly most do actually taste of something quite nice - there's a purple berry one you could put over a dessert in a fine restaurant, whereas many of the jars are more carb, carrot and tomato. Secondly pouches are lighter to carry, can be easily fed via finger on a crowded bus, and can't smash into fragments on your kitchen floor causing nightmare clearup while fractious baby waits!

Some are sweet - Apple juice is basically marketer speak for sugar, but others aren't bad at all.

orangebuccaneer Sun 31-Mar-13 00:37:19

That article is truly shocking.

Having been very ill myself a few years ago (cancer) I try to treat my body with respect, and that includes putting as few chemicals and junk into it as possible. I follow that same reasoning with my children: their bodies are so delicate. Why increase the risk of disease if you don't have to??

Similar argument to BF vs FF in a lot of ways: the health benefits of BF are too overwhelming for me not to... (not wishing to start that debate!).

I did BLW with #1 and will do so again with #2: that way a snack is a piece of banana or carrot, which is just as easy as a pouch, as well as much more nutritious and cheaper.

zippey Sun 31-Mar-13 00:38:13

We have a 2 year old and she eats mainly jars of food. She seems to like limitied varieties though. They are yummy and nutricious and can be cheap. Offer in Asda for 12 jars for £6. Better than making food for baby and then wasting it when baby doesnt eat.

Id start off with the jars and then by a certain age they will be eating the same as you.

scottishmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 00:42:48

Zippy I can assure you homemade with premium ingredients will make more than 12dinners for £6
Feed your child jars if you want but it's not more cost effective at all
If you batch cook you will get way more than 12dinners for£6

Mine always just ate what we did, mashed of course. I don't use salt on cooking so was fine for a baby. They both eat everything now. I just don't know why you'd bother?
Zippey is your 2 yo really still on jars?

scottishmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 00:49:43

Why is 2yo eating jars?is there a physiological reason or is it preference/habit
By 2yo should eat big range foods- not jars
Cook salt free that's main thing

Wowserz129 Sun 31-Mar-13 02:00:05

Pouches are no better than jars. Not sure why people buy into that idea!

The odd jar is fine but not jars day in, day out. They are bland, disgusting and full of crap!

JourneyThroughLife Sun 31-Mar-13 02:04:24

I used baby jars with both my children. Yes, they are far more expensive but I felt the money worth paying because it "bought" me time as well, as I wasn't spending hours and hours cooking and pureeing stuff especially for the babies. Jars were quick and easy, especially at the point where the babies neded to be introduced to solids but couldn't take "lumps" without choking. But they were just a stage, later I introduced our own stuff and have have no problems with either child over choosing varied foods, different tastes, no fussiness.... I really think it doesn't matter, the only problem is cost if you have to watch the budget.

zippey Sun 31-Mar-13 02:08:19

When I say 12 jars for £6, she eats about half a jar per meal, so in effect it works out around 24 meals.

Yes its not jars every meal of course, and we try and vary the jars, as well as a variation to non-jarred normal meals, and she doesnt have a jar for lunch. Variation is the key I think. When I say 2, I mean about 21 months.

scottishmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 02:09:56

I never spent hours and hours cooking.literally cooked every 4-6wk froze meals
Making own food isn't onerous you cook for yourself?steam extra for baby at sametime

kickassangel Sun 31-Mar-13 02:12:58

Depending on the make, the jars can have quite a lot of water and other cheap ingredients to bulk them out, without enough protein. They almost all have apple in, even the savory ones, and if you have a child that reacts to each new food (not unusual) they can have things in you wouldn't expect, so hard to track what they are reacting to. They're also very bland and smooth, whereas real food is more textured and encourages chewing more. Jars also cost a load more, and require a lot of packaging, if those things bother you.

Having said all that, they won't really harm your child.

Dd reacted to apple, though, so I couldn't give her any of them, and used to be up til midnight purée ing pears as the only guaranteed safe food. I'm not resentful at all, oh no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now