How do I make sure he gets enough iron?

(3 Posts)
zirca Fri 29-Mar-13 20:10:37

If food is fun until 1 - and I am bf... 7 mo DC loves the fruit/veg stage 1 purees, but the stage 2 stuff he is less keen on. The stage 2 stuff also goes straight through him - poo smells exactly like whatever he ate! Will he get enough iron from fruit and veg purees atm? He will try soft foods like banana, melon etc but sucks rather than chews. Help?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Mar-13 21:20:15

He'll get all the iron he needs from you and in exactly the right quantities. There is no need to worry at all about iron levels in a bf baby unless they are displaying signs of anaemia.

If you are worried though and if stage 2 purees are an issue, how about offering some finger food, like a strip of omelette, some steamed broccoli or a strip of cooked meat?

There are some purees in the MN weaning recipes section, the chicken and apricot purée should be high in iron but like I said, iron really an issue for a bf baby. If you want a bit more reassurance have a read of food for thought on the analytical armadillo website. You might also like starting solids on the kellymom website smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Apr-13 14:04:12

Did you read the links zirca? What did you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now