Am I the only one waiting!!?

(38 Posts)
Sleepybunny Fri 29-Mar-13 15:23:16

I have a group of mummy friends, and our babies are all around the same age (15-22 weeks). We've been going a playgroup for a couple months now and it's been fab to hear how each others babies are getting on. I've had my mind opened to different parenting styles and ideas.

This week conversation moved to weaning onto solids, and I was surprised to hear that I'm the only one of my 11 friends who hasn't made a start. I know the advice is 26 weeks so just assumed most people would be waiting.

My dd is 20 weeks, but kinda felt that people were thinking I was being a bit precious about it all and wanting to keep my baby a baby for too long(may have been imagined!)

Are there other people out there waiting or have waited until week 26? Or am I being a bit too regimented with the guidelines? I have a lot of pressure from family to wean, every week I get 'oh just get a little jar of purée to try' or 'just dip a dummy into something sweet' I'm fed up repeating myself WE ARE WAITING! She's not even showing any of the signs of being ready yet!

I'd also quite like to try baby led weaning as I think it'll be the only way for me to tell if she is ready or not by week 26. Are there any other BLW people out there? Seemed like a foreign concept amongst my friends!

FadBook Sat 30-Mar-13 09:05:47

Good link from JiltedJohn - definitely read this

As for support / info:
Purchase the book by Gill Rapley - Baby Led Weaning (or get from Library) Link here to ebay one or at Amazon

www.babyledweaning.com/ is a good site of info and support too.

Just come on here and perhaps start a new thread of 'new BLWers' when the time comes to start. There will be a few people on MN.

DD is 19 months, we waited until 6 months (well a couple of days before), she wasn't quite ready so we held off for a week, started again, sat her with us at dinner, she had what we had. Didn't cook anything different. She has a good relationship with food - good days and bad days of fussiness but to me the key to any kind of weaning, is reading and understanding what your child is telling you. If a baby is full, they will refuse food, you just don't force their hand at it. If a baby refuses a particular food, that's ok too. Offering it again next time you are having it - don't rule it out.

Whatever method of feeding you go down (traditional or BLW) the main goals are, 1) for your baby to have fun with food 2) to continue to get main nourishment from milk until 12 months old, 3) eat a varied and balanced diet similar to what you eat I am of course a BLW advocate, best decision we made, I love watching her eat now, it amazes me

NotSoNervous Sat 30-Mar-13 09:11:03

I was waiting until 6m but were 3 weeks of and the last few days DD has been showing lots of signs of being ready and has dropped a little weight so we've started with some baby rice and she's more interested then I thought she would be

FadBook Sat 30-Mar-13 09:49:35

Sorry to hear NotsoNervous has your HV advised to start weaning because of the small drop in weight?

The general theory is that milk, breast or formula, has far more calories and fat than any food that they can digest at that age. So in order to put on weight, they need to be offered more milk. The 'filling up' of other foods such as baby rice, will not be as calorific as milk. Something like avocado, banana would have far more nutrients than babyrice.

Also, have a read of this by the analytical armadillo with regards to not giving baby rice.

cakeandcava Sat 30-Mar-13 09:59:41

I'm another one who is waiting, and I'm the only one in my NCT group who has not given food yet. DS is just past the 5 month mark (and the second oldest in the group). Two of my friends in the group gave food before 17 weeks -I just don't understand what the rush is? hmm

I'd be up for joining a 'new BLWers' thread as well! We're starting in about 3 weeks time...

Maternityleaveisawesome Sat 30-Mar-13 10:14:03

Can't believe there seem to be health visitors who don't follow the guidelines. The ones on our area are quite good.

I am waiting till 6 1/2 months as we are away at 6 months. (Although I did let dd suck on some melon after she grabbed my slice. )
I haven't had anyone suggest I should feed her earlier. probably a good thing as I don't react well to people telling me I'm wrong

MadameJosephine Sat 30-Mar-13 12:45:59

DD is almost 20 weeks and EBF, we'll be waiting until 6 months so I'll be keeping an eye out for the 'new BLWers' thread!

DS was weaned at 10 weeks on baby rice on the advice of my HV blush in my defence it was 1996 and I didn't know any better. Looking back I don't know how I managed to shovel it into a ten week old baby!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 30-Mar-13 14:47:42

Thanks fad. I love the way she explains it. Found that link when I was looking for her article on iron for another thread smile

NotSoNervous Sat 30-Mar-13 14:57:02

Thanks fad ill have a look. Yeh her first drop in weight hmm

I waited, because I had the impression that was what the NHS wanted me to do and that's how I roll.

I have a theory that by the time the baby is about four months old, the parent has mastered all the new gadgets and kit that they bought for the birth and is looking for a new challenge!

Sleepybunny Sat 30-Mar-13 20:42:45

Thanks for the votes of confidence and advice guys! quak I also love this phase just now too, and I'd quite like to keep my little boob-fed milk monster for a while longer!

I think BLW will suit us too, just feels like a more natural and laid back approach. (Thanks for the links and book refs)

My mum is also tooting on about how well dd will sleep after weaning has begun. She started early with me and all my siblings (I think around 3-4 months) funnily enough we all have IBS and/or dairy intolerence, starting to wonder if there is a link there too! I can't say too much as I don't want to offend her, she is a brilliant mum. Just wish she would respect my parenting choices as I respect hers!

Sleepybunny Sat 30-Mar-13 20:52:49

I'll def start a thread on BLW nearer the time, that's a great idea! Would be great to hear how everyone is doing and what is/isn't going down well!

Quak Sun 31-Mar-13 09:57:46

I shall look out for your thread. We're starting next week.....shock

forbetterorworsted Mon 08-Apr-13 21:41:26

I'm up for the BLW thread! Not sitting up yet so may be a few weeks still!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now