Constipation (again) but why?

(8 Posts)
LimeFlower Tue 26-Mar-13 10:47:22

9.5 mo DS had such a hard time recently,he cried while passing stone hard nugget (sorry if TMI) and he strained so hard that his face went purple.

I know this problem resurfaces here quite often but I don't understand why he's having a constipation.
He's bf at least twice a day and a few times in the night,has a bottle of formula before the bedtime.The rest of his diet is chunk of bread with creamy cheese for brekkie or omelette/egg,sometimes weetabix.All followed by fruit puree or chunk of banana.Cucumber for teething,boiled water after every meal,veg soup/puree for tea with some meat/fish 2-3 times a week.

Why is he having a constipation?And how can I help him?Thought about buying some prunes,steeping them overnight and give him the water but don't know whether it's a good idea.Any help much appreciated,thank you.

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 26-Mar-13 10:49:00

Ds1 was/is like this. No idea why. Prune juice worked well for us.

Ds2 is the exact opposite. So my theory is that its just how they are.

Drladybird Tue 26-Mar-13 14:59:18

I'd give the prunes a shot. Is he having enough water? Also, I don't know the details but isn't there some advice about not giving children too much fibre? Egg, weetabix and banana are all quite 'binding' as my mum would say!

Liveinthepresent Tue 26-Mar-13 14:59:48

Based on my experience with DD it might be worth trying no banana and see if it could be that. No matter what else she was eating she just couldn't digest it and would end up constipated.
Did some research ( on here I imagine ) and realised it was quite common.
Seems weird for such popular early weaning food I know.

MissTapestry Tue 26-Mar-13 16:54:42

I've been giving DD a dried prune to gnaw at with her dinner each night. It seems to be doing the trick, she's doing firmish poos now with no bother, rather than bullet poos with mucho screaming!

MajaBiene Tue 26-Mar-13 16:57:40

Formula, eggs and bananas can all be constipating.

More fruit, especially oranges, diluted fruit juice and water should help.

LimeFlower Tue 26-Mar-13 22:08:44

Thank you all smile
Will try some prunes this week,blueberries went very well
Didn't know bananas could conribute to his problems,will give hime less which is a shame-he likes them,especially frozen chunks for teething.

Runningblue Sat 30-Mar-13 23:54:26

Dried apricots, cooked in water and then pureed make a lovely tasty and high fibre puree for your baby. Really nice mixed with natural yoghurt for a pudding too.
And great for the bowels!
You mention water after each meal? Could you just bung the water in a sippy cup or doidy cup at the beginning? Water wont fill him up, but will reinforce that drinking water is part of the meal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now