No gluten until 7 months?

(9 Posts)
Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:41:14

i know yellow!! even worse when you're in between cultures!

thanks ilove

6 months is standard in the UK, not sure why they delay until 7 months. Studies have shown that introduction before 3 months and after 7 months can increase chances of coeliac disease which is why 6 month is advised here.

Gut problem link to baby weaning

Effect of the timing of gluten introduction on the development of celiac disease

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 19:10:23

I hated weaning. Advice was never the same!

Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:04:01

Well the reason for not following it was that i thought that in the uk people gave gluten from 6 months so i was wondering if i needed to wait til 7

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 18:34:45

Ooh, on googling (academic standard researcher, me) it seems this is more controversial than I thought. I think I should just shut up until someone more knowledgable shows up!

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 18:29:28

What reasons have you for not following it? No health benefits in having gluten early and it does cause problems for a significant number of people.

I am not medical btw, so I am really just thinking!

Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:24:37

Thanks yellow. Not sure whether to follow advice or not.

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 18:05:26

I assume because it is a common allergen and hard on the gut.

Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:03:52

I live in France and here they tell you not to give gluten until7 months. This is not the advice in uk is it? Any idea why they would be saying 7 months here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now