No gluten until 7 months?

(9 Posts)
Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:03:52

I live in France and here they tell you not to give gluten until7 months. This is not the advice in uk is it? Any idea why they would be saying 7 months here?

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 18:05:26

I assume because it is a common allergen and hard on the gut.

Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:24:37

Thanks yellow. Not sure whether to follow advice or not.

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 18:29:28

What reasons have you for not following it? No health benefits in having gluten early and it does cause problems for a significant number of people.

I am not medical btw, so I am really just thinking!

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 18:34:45

Ooh, on googling (academic standard researcher, me) it seems this is more controversial than I thought. I think I should just shut up until someone more knowledgable shows up!

Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:04:01

Well the reason for not following it was that i thought that in the uk people gave gluten from 6 months so i was wondering if i needed to wait til 7

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Sun 24-Mar-13 19:10:23

I hated weaning. Advice was never the same!

6 months is standard in the UK, not sure why they delay until 7 months. Studies have shown that introduction before 3 months and after 7 months can increase chances of coeliac disease which is why 6 month is advised here.

Gut problem link to baby weaning

Effect of the timing of gluten introduction on the development of celiac disease

Nancy54 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:41:14

i know yellow!! even worse when you're in between cultures!

thanks ilove

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now