Would it be ok to give 9 month old cottage pie which has a quarter of a jelly stock pot in it?

(15 Posts)
scarletforya Mon 25-Mar-13 10:04:53

Thanks Cornish -i didn't know, I will have to study it all a bit more! smile

Oh thank you Cornish, I though i was pretty good at decoding labels but I didn't know that.
(and i really, really want some Yarg now!)

CornishYarg Sun 24-Mar-13 20:06:20

scarlet Sorry if you already know this, but to get the salt content you need to multiply the sodium content by 2.5. So if you've worked out that the whole pie will have 0.44g of sodium, that's 1.1g of salt (if I've got my maths right too!).

Just something to be aware of when checking food labels. The 1g per day limit is salt so it's 0.4g per day for sodium.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sun 24-Mar-13 15:05:00

Just to expand, it's not so much that you can give a baby enough bread and cheese to cause damage - it's more that if they do eat them then they'll probably use up a big share of their allocated RDA, so that's why you need to be aware of their intake from thise sources and probably keep everything else low.

scarletforya Sun 24-Mar-13 14:53:51

Thanks LadyIsabella

I will look out for those!

AThingInYourLife Sun 24-Mar-13 14:52:29

I would.

But then my baby is always eating bread and cheese.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sun 24-Mar-13 14:49:04

Bread and cheese are the problem with babies' food - very easy to rack up the salt in those without noticing.

scarletforya Sun 24-Mar-13 14:46:20

Thank you. My maths is not brilliant but I am making it out to be 1.79 grammes sodium per pot and I used a quarter of a pot so I think about 0.44 sodium in the whole pie....so the whole pie has less than the RDA I see forevergreek has posted!

I think it should be ok. She doesn't get any processed food so she is not used to any salt!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sun 24-Mar-13 14:42:27

It's not great as a regular part of their diet, but as a one-off it won't hurt. Kallo low-salt stock cubes are quite good.

Pancakeflipper Sun 24-Mar-13 14:36:24

I would. It's not every meal, just this one.

forevergreek Sun 24-Mar-13 14:34:14

It's fine. A baby shouldn't have more than 1g a day. ( adult 6g).

I'm guessing she will eat about 1/10th of the pie max. According to the website there' is 1.14g per Stock pot ( so baby would be getting approx 0.5-0.10g in a small portion)

MortifiedAdams Sun 24-Mar-13 14:31:47

I would do it.

MrsMarigold Sun 24-Mar-13 14:29:49

not sure it's right but I've done it myself. I find anabel karmel recipes often advocate a stock cube...

pompompom Sun 24-Mar-13 14:29:11

How much salt is in the stock cube?

scarletforya Sun 24-Mar-13 14:27:13

I have not added any salt but I did make a half cup of beef stock from a quarter of one of those jelly beef stock pots in it. The pie is enough to feed 4 adults.

She would only eat a very small portion, but I'm wondering would the salt in the stock be risky for her at all?

Salt is the 3rd listed ingredient in the stock pot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now