Trying to move away from purees

(7 Posts)
sharond101 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:28:30

DS is 10mo today and likes being spoonfed puree. He spits out most lumpy foods I have tried him with and usually will only take a couple pf spoonfuls unless it's a smooth puree where he will eat a bowlful. Finger foods are not a big hit either although he loves breadstix and toast crusts, everything else gets tossed off the high chair. I would like to learn to eat more things by himself, like a sandwich at lunchtime, or a plate of finger foods at dinner, but where should I start when he is so reluctant and it seems such a shame to give him something he won't eat when a bowl of puree will be enjoyed and devoured.

sharond101 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:31:25

Also do you give sandwiches as fingers, quarter squares, triangles? He will not touch anything slimy or moist like banana, melon or cucumber.

JellyMould Sat 23-Mar-13 22:33:13

Maybe you could give him some puree on toast or on pasta etc, where the tastes are quite familiar, but the texture is a little novel? We've had quite a lot of success with pasta quills where he sucks the sauce off them, then eats the quills. Or could you introduce lumps very gradually, so even within a meal start with a smooth puree, then add a spoonful of lumpy puree and mix it in?

JellyMould Sat 23-Mar-13 22:35:21

I give sandwiches as any of those shapes. With my first child I used to rolling pin them so that they were thinner when I first gave them. My second child (8 months now) just dissects them and eats the bread and filling separately, so it doesn't matter how they are served.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 23-Mar-13 23:33:28

How about offering finger food for lunch and then purees for tea when he will probably be more tired. At least that way you know he's had one good meal in the day before bed.

As for the finger food, just serve it. It doesn't really matter what shape or size, and just eat your meal. If he doesn't eat much it doesn't really matter, most of his nutrition should be from his milk at this age smile

Fanjango Sat 23-Mar-13 23:37:02

My dd1 was terrible, chocked and vomited at anything but a puree but would try finger food. I fed her a small meal of puree and then gave her some fingerfood to try. Strangely garlic toast was a firm favourite. This made sure that she ate whillst also offering her the chance to try something different, without forcing the issue.

CornishYarg Sun 24-Mar-13 09:34:30

I think the finger foods will take a bit of perseverence. He's got very used to just swallowing down a smooth puree so it will take a little while for him to understand that the finger food isn't just a toy to be lobbed over the side.

I think the plan of just finger food for one meal and puree for the other is a good one. Not sure what you do at the moment when he throws his finger food, but if you produce a bowl of puree because you want to ensure he eats something, he's basically getting rewarded for throwing the finger food. Try and see the finger food meal as playtime for him and if he eats anything, it's a bonus. You know he'll eat his puree meal later and he has his milk, so he won't starve while he gets used to the finger foods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now