If your LO appears to dislike something do you offer something else?

(11 Posts)
sharond101 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:40:24

Do you offer an alternative if they refuse a meal or is this creating a rod for your own back?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 20-Mar-13 21:47:06

No alternatives here. How old is your Lo?

5madthings Wed 20-Mar-13 21:50:29

Nope,no alternatives, it'd take it or leave it here.

littlemissnormal Wed 20-Mar-13 21:50:50

DS is 9 months and BLW. I offer an alternative as he is generally not fussy and will eat anything offered unless not hungry or it's banana!
Isn't it supposed to take 7 tries of something new before accepting or liking it?

JollyYellowGiant Wed 20-Mar-13 21:53:14

DS has more than one thing on his plate at each meal and usually eats at least one of the things. He didn't discover fussiness until 12mo ish.

sharond101 Thu 21-Mar-13 09:33:08

DS is 9.5mo. He seems to dislike a few things and turns his nose up at yoghurt, cheese, bananas, eggs....

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 21-Mar-13 09:47:49

At that age most of his nutrition should be from his milk so if he's turning his nose up, just ignore, chat eat your meal and ignore the protests sone more. If he doesn't eat it, he's probably just not hungry.

sharond101 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:36:29

I don't like to think I am leaving him hungry if it's a genuine dislike.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 22-Mar-13 08:05:09

Think its important to remember that at this age most of his nutrition should be from the milk. We also used to put more than one thing on the plate, so if you are offering omelette, give some salad too.

ENSMUM Sat 23-Mar-13 12:04:01

Another vote for several things on plate, including something you know they like. That way they don't learn that by refusing something they will get something they prefer.

Dd is old enough now (2y 3m) to understand no yogurt/whatever unless she tries main first

No.

I always offer a range of things - 3 things on a plate at once. So maybe some bread and peanut butter, some cheese, and some fruit for lunch. Normally, he'll have a go at everything on the plate, but fruit and veg always get tried last.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now