Avocados?

(11 Posts)
Abigail9580 Tue 19-Mar-13 16:39:03

If you mash them and then put the stone back into the bowl with the mash and cover with cling film, and it won't go brown.

Brilliant information - I knew you guys would know!
I'm glad they aren't going to waste

comelywenchlywoo Tue 19-Mar-13 15:40:27

If you cut it into chunky fingers and then freeze, you could trim the brown bits off where the air has got to it once they're defrosted.

Do try avocado tho, my DS still LOVES it and it's so full of lovely nutrients. I think if they try it whilst young they're more likely to enjoy it later on. DNiece is not a fan at all.......

choceyes Tue 19-Mar-13 15:32:05

I just cut it up in slices with the skin on and gave it to them from 6 months. They eat the flesh and discard the skin. The skin is useful for holding on to it, otherwise it is too slippery for them. No need for mush.
DD loves avocado so much (still does at 2.5yrs), I used to joke she was 50:50 avocado and breastmilk till she was a year old!

marzipananimal Tue 19-Mar-13 15:29:32

DS used to like it mashed together with banana. No idea if that would freeze ok though!

OhMyNoReally Tue 19-Mar-13 15:28:13

Lemon stops it oxidising, it will go brown without. It's not great defrosted as it goes very watery. You should just eat them yourself in bacon and chicken sandwich. Also you don't need to mix avocado with milk as they're very soft, like banana in texture.

dinkystinky Tue 19-Mar-13 15:27:35

Avocado made both my kids cry - save yourself the pain and eat them yourself.

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Mar-13 15:25:10

Peel and halve them, wrap tightly in clingfilm, and freeze - they go a bit black on the surface, but are fine to eat

stargirl1701 Tue 19-Mar-13 15:20:28

I am doing BLW so I just cut it into finger sized pieces. It wasn't popular grin

mrscog Tue 19-Mar-13 15:19:46

Not sure, but once you've move to finger foods avocado is great on toast smile

So I thought I was doing really well, getting some mush made and frozen in preparation for Operation Solids in a couple of weeks.

I picked up a couple of reduced avocados today, thinking to mash then freeze, But when when I got home, the weaning recipe book says avocado mush can't be stored hmm and needs lemon juice? (won't that curdle the breast milk I'm mixing it with?)

Can I do anything to store them? I don't like avocado, and thought I was being all clever, giving her lots of tastes hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now