Weaning a vegan baby?

(118 Posts)

Anyone else vegan?
We are newly vegan and DS is 8.5 mo. I am just looking for ideas of finger foods as the general ones seem to be cheese, ham etc...

He will have veg sticks but want to make sure he gets more than this, he used to have what we were eating just pureed but hates being fed now and wants to do it himself...hence the struggle!

Mannequinkate Tue 12-Mar-13 15:15:42

Can he not still have what your having? It'll just be a bit messy.

BLW book has a recipe for porridge fingers that you can make with ebm and add raisins. Also if you cook lentils with veggies you can shape into patties which are handy

Well he can't pick up the stuff we have with his fingers generally as it's things that need to be eaten with cutlery. Don't think he's ready to use a spoon himself yet, what age do they start to do that?

Patties and porridge fingers sound good thanks, which book was it?

MrsVJDay Tue 12-Mar-13 17:23:10

Have you tried 'Evie's Kitchen' lots of yummy vegan baby stuff in there

OhMyNoReally Tue 12-Mar-13 17:26:33

Check on amazon tpe in vegan baby. Might give you a head start or look for blogs.

Drladybird Tue 12-Mar-13 19:20:40

I'd check out some blogs for good inspiration. I blog vegetarian child friendly food at broccoliandricecakes.wordpress.com/, many recipes are vegan. The vegetarian society have a list of veggie blogs so these might be worth checking out or maybe the vegan society has something similar.

Glaikit Tue 12-Mar-13 19:28:11

You are looking at least a year before he is spoon feeling himself. But I remember a phase of ds refusing anything on a spoon for a while. He may well start taking it again. But really as they say, for before one if just for fun. If thing you make are too sloppy I used to chuck some bread in or baby rice to thicken it up.

I should say I'm not vegan, but my ds ate only fruit and veg for a long time. He still doesn't eat much meat.

Toast and nut butters, falafel? Hummus and pitta strips dairy free pesto pasta

Thanks so much everyone! Some good ideas there I will have fun looking through the sites and making some goodies!

I wonder if he could just get his hands stuck into mushy stuff like lentils....I'm sure he'd have great fun may need to buy an industrial cleaner though

LentilAsAnything Tue 12-Mar-13 22:02:46

We're vegan, think you've had some good suggestions already, but just wanted to say hi, and feel free to PM me if you wish.
We did BLW with DS, and he ate whatever we had. Noodles, rice, all sorts of fruit and veg, houmous (sucked off a carrot). Homemade biscuits (rusk style). Roast dinners (without the meat). He loved (loves! Still does!) porridge, but was happy using a spoon, maybe yours will soon! Or make flapjacks! Good luck!

TheNewStatesman Wed 13-Mar-13 01:28:39

Iron and zinc rich foods are what you want, as these are what they need to complement their milk. Pulses of all types are good, as are fortified cereals--oatmeal and son on. I used to mix some almond meal in with breakfast oatmeal to give it extra nutrition. Don't bother with spinach (the iron in spinach thing is an urban legend). Give some fruit with meals to help absorption.

KatAndKit Wed 13-Mar-13 19:29:40

Unless you intend to natural term breastfeed on demand, a vegan diet is not suitable for a young child. Certainly they would need to be breastfed till age 2 at least, or have formula and then cows milk till that age. if you are breastfeeding then there is not any dietary need to add any dairy products or animal milks so a vegan diet can be healthy. If you are formula feeding then obviously your child is already not getting a vegan diet!

kat actually I am intending to natural term breastfeed, however, this may be less than 2 years...or longer. However, that's beside the point, I am vegan mainly because of the health benefits, which I want to pass on to my baby, so I wonder why you think a baby NEEDS to have cows milk?!

lentil thank you, you may regret the offer of advice via pm! I'll certainly get in touch when I'm stuck, and the ideas sound good too

statesman thanks for the ideas, yeh I read that spinach contains something which inhibits the absorbtion of iron so is pointless for getting it! He has been having oats or fortified oats with flaxseed mixed in and almond milk so glad I'm on the right track!

LentilAsAnything Wed 13-Mar-13 20:27:03

Kat, what utter nonsense! A vegan diet is optimal for a young child. My child is 2.5, and never had a cold, no fever, no bugs, nothing <touches wood>. Same goes for all the vegan toddlers I know, and I know quite a few. A vegan diet is suitable for everyone. I am also vegan primarily for health reasons. I have researched extensively, I would not sacrifice my child's health for anything.

MSP, please do get in touch! Oh, and I love snow too! smile

LentilAsAnything Wed 13-Mar-13 20:28:33

MSP, am PMing you now ...

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 13-Mar-13 20:29:25

Just be careful... I'm vegan, but I didn't want to risk it with my wee one. Maybe give some vegan supplements for peace of mind?

KatAndKit Wed 13-Mar-13 22:37:06

all mammals need to have the milk of their own species in infancy and early childhood. For a human baby there is no need for cows milk but the average natural age for human weaning is 4. That is why I say that a vegan diet is not suitable for young children unless you breastfeed to the stage of self weaning.

OhMyNoReally Thu 14-Mar-13 09:17:26

this is the book I was trying to remember

I bought it when dd was young to give a better diet, a more rounded diet, I think we become a bit to meat dependent.

Anyway it's American but you can get a lot of the ingredients online or find UK names for things.

I found it really useful as it has a weaning table at the back and a nutrition guide (I think also for every recipe) anyway I can highly recommend it. smile

thewhistler Thu 14-Mar-13 09:30:05

Mashed potato and polenta both make great patties/ mounds / sticks that you can then mix or cover with anything.

And although Couscous goes joyfully everywhere, my nephews adored it with olive oil, parsley, roast garlic.

Roast parsnips are yummy finger food.

thewhistler Thu 14-Mar-13 09:32:08

Ps, mess doesn't matter. Put a huge sheet of plastic eg s plastic tablecloth under the chair and it will be fine.

MrsBethel Fri 15-Mar-13 10:58:03

I wouldn't recommend it, personally, because of the risk of nutritional deficiency, which can be minimised, but not eradicated. Not a dig, BTW, it's just good to freely challenge assumptions IMO.

If you do it make sure they're getting enough B12, calcium and vitamin D.

And beware that if you're low on B12, your breastmilk will be too.

Drladybird Fri 15-Mar-13 13:10:17

I think that a vegan child can be perfectly healthy and, as with any other child, we will want to try and encourage them to have a balanced diet. I'm sure that we know many different children (including meat eaters) who are fussy so don't always have the most nutritious foods- we can only try, eh?!
I did some research on B12 and posted it here: B12 A short summary on why our children need it, how much they need and possible vegetarian sources. It might be helpful. I have done the same with protein and iron

Agreed dr there are plenty of children who r on a non restricted diet and are in fact mal nourished. A glass of milk or a piece of chicken does not make up the short fall in an otherwise unhealthy but unrestricted diets.

The majority of people on a restricted diet of any kind care deeply about ensuring them or their family gains all nutrients needed to stay healthy.

ohmy thanks for the book suggestion, I'll order it and see how we go!

thewhistler love the idea of patties, tried one lentil and veggie ones last night but they tended to fall apart quite a lot. I think I need to let go of the mess thing. I'm not a clean freak or anything, far from it, it's just more work on no sleep that puts me off!

mrs bethel I really think there will be far less chance of nutritional deficiency from a vegan diet than an animal product one. Whereas before we would have typical meat, carbohydrate and maybe one or two veg for dinner now we are getting a whole variety of veggies and protein/complex carbohydrates, and it's very hard to eat processed food when vegan etc...but yes, need to look out for the things that are not easily found in vegan diet, like you say.

drladybird that's great info thanks very much, will take a full look through the site later!

Completely agree with caffienedrip it's a lot easier to become malnourished on a non restrictive diet as you don't have to think so hard about what you're eating.

Have actually started a website up about our journey as new vegans and hoping to add in weaning sections once I get the hang of it vegandaily.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now