Can my 10mo DD have tuna steak?

(8 Posts)
Ginshizz Wed 06-Mar-13 20:20:43

Thank you, that's really helpful

food standards agency says this about eating oily fish (fresh tuna counts as oily fish but tinned tuna doesnt):

Even though eating oily fish has a number of benefits, there are limits to the amount we should eat.

Girls and women who might have a baby one day shouldn’t eat more than two portions of oily fish a week. A portion is 140g. In general, this advice also applies to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Women who aren’t going to get pregnant in the future, boys and men can eat up to four portions a week.

Ginshizz Wed 06-Mar-13 13:20:54

Thank you! I will give it a go and see what she thinks smile

Yes of it's cooked well but given that the only way to eat tuna where It is actually edible is to have it rare. Children really are meant to have food cooked well done. Having said that I got fed up of dd leaving meat and tuna so decided to cook it how it's meant to be eaten as if was a waste otherwise and when dd2 came along she had no choice but to conform grin

Ginshizz Wed 06-Mar-13 12:32:39

Thanks, I'd cook fry / grill it but would do it all the way through

How would you be cooking it? I like my tuna steak very rare in the middle, and I suspect that wouldn't work for a baby. tuna out of a can, probably yes, but I wouldn't give more than once a week.

Ginshizz Wed 06-Mar-13 12:21:22

Hello,

I am very confused about whether DD can have tuna steak? The advice I have been given ranges from yes but no more than once a week to noooooooooooooo!

I would love some sensible advice!

Thanks

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now