Recipes with stock and mince

(6 Posts)
SamraLee Sat 16-Feb-13 20:15:48

What do you use for recipes with stock? I know I could make stock from scratch that is salt free, I just don't have anywhere to put it once it's made. I know I could just add water instead, but it seems it would be a bit flavourless and as other people will be eating the food, not just baby I want to be able to taste it.

Anyone have any good tips or recipes they use?

Also, what age do you think it's okay to give babies mince? My baby is 7 months old and I'm worried about her not really being able to chew it properly and I don't puree her foods.

Snusmumriken Sat 16-Feb-13 21:49:15

You could buy reduced or no salt stock.
Your baby will not be able to chew properly until she has teeth but s/he is still able to enjoy textured foods. Google baby led weaning.

you can buy baby stock cubes from boots and other places (maybe even the supermarkets with the baby foods). Mince is fine from 6 months - gums are hard and they can chew foods with them.

sleepyhead Sat 16-Feb-13 22:01:45

I used to use a veg base when browning the mince (diced carrot, onion, celery, herbs, bit of tomato puree) and then just use water or tinned toms instead of stock and add salt for the adults afterwards if needed.

You're basically making veg stock with that lot added anyway.

Look in the baby food aisle. Heinz do stock cubes for babies!

SamraLee Sun 17-Feb-13 21:43:29

Thank you all for your advice. Found the stock cubes in the baby aisle today. The vegetable stock cubes have no salt or sugar, but the chicken one's have sugar. I'm going to try some mince with my baby tomorrow and hopefully she'll enjoy it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now