BLW + long haul flight

(9 Posts)
blushingmare Thu 07-Feb-13 08:19:30

We are flying to New Zealand in two weeks time - excited about an amazing holiday, dreading the 24hour flight with an 8 month old!!

We have mostly been doing BLW with her. She largely rejects spoon feeding in any case (unless it's yoghurt!), so I don't think the Ella's Kitchen pounches are going to work. How the hell am I going to take enough food to sustain her for the flight? She can't exactly eat the airplane food - it's bound to be over processed and full of salt. And I'm not sure I can keep stuff fresh enough in a cool bag for well over 24 hours. Also - the mess!!!

Anyone had any experience?

MissTapestry Thu 07-Feb-13 08:46:34

Would she take Ella's pouches if you gave them to her to feed herself? My 7mo will eat them if she's holding it, I just gently squeeze the bottom so she doesn't realise I'm involved!

blushingmare Thu 07-Feb-13 09:34:42

That's an idea - I think I need to do some experimenting!

Loislane78 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:12:39

You can get carrot sticks and houmous pots in Boots and packets of apples etc. so what about some of those once you're through customs.

They always have nice food available in business class so I'd nicely ask the air hostess for some fresh fruit and crackers/cheese snacks etc. sure they won't mind.

Have fun (and GL with the flight!)

Zara1984 Sat 09-Feb-13 16:22:16

What airline are you flying with? Air NZ do pretty good baby meals.

Agree with suggestion of pouches. Or Boots carrot sticks etc but remember you will have to chuck out any leftovers when you get to NZ due to their strict agricultural laws. Or just go with jars/purses for the flight/until you get to where you're staying - I know it's not your preference but anything that makes that flight easier with a baby, the better. To hell with normality! wink

blushingmare Sat 09-Feb-13 19:00:11

We're flying with Emirates. Didn't realise airlines did baby meals, so will phone to find out thanks. Don't have a problem with giving her pouches etc in principle, but it's just she's pretty contrary about taking them. She will normally refuse anything on a spoon, unless it's yoghurt! Having said that, I tried her with a pouch again yesterday - she wouldn't suck it from the pouch, but would take it on a spoon, which is the first thing she's been happy to be spoonfed in weeks! As I say.... contrary! Just hope she will do that on the flight - it would make it a hell of a lot easier.

therugratref Sat 09-Feb-13 19:04:23

In my experience Emirates kids food is awful, I would plan on taking most of what you need.

Alligatorpie Tue 12-Feb-13 10:03:27

I recently flew long haul with my 7 month old, i had snacks with me, but she also ate yogurt off dd1's kids meal, plain pasta off mine, my fruit salad and white bread. Not the healthiest, but she was fine and it was only for one day of travelling. Ask the flight attendant if they have any extra fruit or yogurt ( warning - its probably the sugary kind) but they are usually pretty good about helping babies.

I reckon you could pack a snack box of pasta salad, cheese, rice cakes, crackers, fruit, yogurt, veg bits etc. you will prob have a great flight cos all that eating will take up about half the flight time. that and sleeping and you ll be there before you know it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now