Feeling insecure

(12 Posts)
Kanna2001 Wed 06-Feb-13 16:42:26

I've been a lurker for a while (FTM) but in need of some advice so decided to post. Sorry if this has been posted before.

My little girl will be 6 months on the 17th of February and I have not started to wean her yet. I meet up with quite a few mums at baby groups and I seem to be the only one who hasn't started yet. I was happy to follow the WHO advice but the other mums have made me feel quite insecure about my decision to wait. Apparently because I have waited, I now need to rush the process as babies should be on 3 meals a day by 7 months is what they tell me. She will be short of iron and she might not take to the food as easily apparently too. I know this is probably not true, but there's this little voice in the back of my head wondering if I should indeed have started earlier. Are they right? Is it different for each child? I really don't know.

My plan (if you can call it that!) is to do mashed up foods with finger foods. Don't know if I'm brave enough for BLW. This weaning thing really is on my mind and as everyone I would like the best for my child. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Flisspaps Wed 06-Feb-13 16:53:13

Quite frankly, they're talking bollocks.

Enjoy this new stage grin

RubyrooUK Wed 06-Feb-13 16:54:33

Don't feel insecure. Every child is different. Have you heard the phrase about how "food should be fun under one"?

That means that as long as your baby still has a good milk diet, the next six months are about them exploring food. Some children will eat three meals a day at 7 months whereas others will smear it over their face and ingest little.

You have not left it late - your child isn't even six months yet. Really. Just relax and have fun with weaning and helping her try new things.

RubyrooUK Wed 06-Feb-13 16:54:47

Don't feel insecure. Every child is different. Have you heard the phrase about how "food should be fun under one"?

That means that as long as your baby still has a good milk diet, the next six months are about them exploring food. Some children will eat three meals a day at 7 months whereas others will smear it over their face and ingest little.

You have not left it late - your child isn't even six months yet. Really. Just relax and have fun with weaning and helping her try new things.

Flisspaps Wed 06-Feb-13 16:56:05

The iron thing...iron stores do run low eventually - are you FF or BF? Only that formula has iron in it, I assume BM has iron in it too though. I'd still not worry.

RubyrooUK Wed 06-Feb-13 18:48:07

Sorry for the double post there OP!
My phone went mad.

I think they recommend that you give vitamin drops from 6mo to breastfed babies to help them with iron levels. (This does not mean all bf babies have low iron as many don't, but it helps top up those who are not big eaters of iron-rich food.) You can get these at Boots/Superdrug etc.

Formula is supplemented with iron anyway.

Kanna2001 Wed 06-Feb-13 18:55:20

Thanks all - that makes me feel much better. I bf for a month but then switched to formula.
I will try and feel more relaxed about the whole thing as I don't want her to 'notice' my anxious feeling. I guess I'm not ready for her to grow up yet either!

RubyrooUK Wed 06-Feb-13 19:10:31

If she is drinking formula, she will be getting iron supplements anyway so no need to worry at all on that score.

And do try to enjoy it. It really is fun watching them try new tastes. I read somewhere that a baby has to try something 10-15 times to "like" or "dislike" it. So if your child hates spinach casserole, just try again another time. I found that sometimes DS would happily eat something and then another time he would reject it.

It's when they become toddlers that it all goes wrong with food...but that's another thread! grin

Kanna2001 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:24:14

Ah! I will be back in a couple of years then ;-)

TheToadLessTravelled Wed 06-Feb-13 20:47:06

I was told 'food for fun until they are one' which helped me relax about weaning.

We did a mix of blw and purée and it worked well for us. Scary the first few times they gag on food so doing a first aid course helped my confidence.

Try and enjoy it, eat with your baby and make it fun. You will both be fine smile

OrchidFlakes Wed 06-Feb-13 21:42:16

I could have written your post OP! DS is 6 months on 13th feb and I'm the only one in our group not to have weaned yet. I just don't feel the need to just yet. He's happy huge and possibly not quite ready.

We'll try in a week or so, until then I'm dodging the group and the group emails! I'm sick of the judgey pants

FunnyBird Wed 06-Feb-13 21:51:29

I saw the health visitor with DS for the first time in a few months yesterday. He is 6 months on 18th Feb. She asked me how he was getting on with solid foods. I've nog started weaning yet either. But hr's DC2 and I've more confidence to ignore all the advice and pressure and do what I feel is right and when.
Have fun weaning. DD ate all sorts of things as a baby. Now it's mostly beige or yellow food. Toddler stage is a whole other thread, as pp said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now