Blw - do I really need to peel my sausages?

(12 Posts)
lucylookout Wed 06-Feb-13 14:00:20

Seem to remember in Gill Rapley's book that she recommends removing skin. Did you? Or how did you make a chipolata more baby friendly?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 06-Feb-13 14:14:07

I never peeled one but then I never read e book so may just be ignorant of the risks. Does she explain why?

Pascha Wed 06-Feb-13 14:15:09

Ds just had them chopped up and he's still alive.

I never did but I used to give mine skinless chipolatas so I must have considered the risk (it was a while ago since this was and issue).

They can be chewy I suppose if you have no teeth.

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 06-Feb-13 14:19:57

DS won't eat sausages with the skins (doesn't like the texture I guess) on, so I bite them off & give him the mince bit.

TimothyClaypoleLover Wed 06-Feb-13 14:22:56

I never read it in any book but I used to remove the skins in the beginning just to make the sausage easier to chew but gradually just left skins on the more my DD was able to chew her food properly.

BluddyNora Wed 06-Feb-13 14:30:15

I didn't, never even occurred to me..

lucylookout Wed 06-Feb-13 15:01:32

Thanks all. I'll peel one I think, just as it's his first go. But how on earth do you peel a sausage? Before or after cooking?

TheBakeryQueen Wed 13-Feb-13 11:02:05

Actually, the shape of a sausage means it's a fairly high risk food in terms of choking. I always slice them to limit the risk.

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Feb-13 11:06:24

Just slice it longways, then theres no circular piece to stick

ceeveebee Sat 16-Feb-13 22:51:36

You can get skinless one, walls I think, i've never tried them though

Startail Sat 16-Feb-13 23:02:54

I think I tended to skinless sausages when they were small.

They are still DD2s favourite, we live in a town with two butchers that make beautiful prize winning sausages and she still considers skinless pink slime a treat angry

If I weaned her again, I'd definitely make meatballs out of decent sausages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now