porridge for toddlers

(9 Posts)
Fairylea Sun 03-Feb-13 16:01:50

Weetabix with warm milk also makes a nice alternative to porridge. Ds 7 months loves it.

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 03-Feb-13 16:00:25

Readybrek made with milk that has been zapped in the microwave for 1m30secs with some fruit puree stirred in (usually ella's kitchen pouches) my DD1 and 2 (3y6m and 7m) love it

We use ordinary porridge oats, milk and water, and make enough porridge for all of us. DD (2yrs) has hers with a fruit pot (puree) stirred in.
We adults have ours unhealthy with a squeeze of golden syrup.

We've also had it with cinnamon and banana in.

She has had the odd spoonful of ours too, but we always give water as a drink and clean teeth afterwards.

NoisesOff Sun 03-Feb-13 14:00:41

Brilliant, thanks people. smile

Time to hit the supermarket...

I make porridge for 3 year old dd every morning. I use ordinary quaker porridge oats.

I measure 1/4 cup oats into bowl and pour in half a cup of milk.
Microwave on full power for 1m40s then pour in 1/4 cup of cold milk and stir.
Leave to stand.

It takes less than 5 mins to be at the right temp and in that time it thickens aswell. I don't sweeten hers with anything (but maybe I'm evil Mummy!). She has fruit as snacks later on in the day.

My toddler has tesco own brand instant hot oat cereal. I make it thick then add cold milk to cool it down afterwards. I add a tiny bit of sugar and some cinnamon. She lives it.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Sun 03-Feb-13 12:38:08

Readybrek is quick to make, and you can stir in some cold milk when it's ready to cool it down quicker. I'm not sure if it contains anything other than oats though (salt etc)?

Could you mash a banana and stir that in for flavour?

NoisesOff Sun 03-Feb-13 12:31:35

I've been using Boots Organic porridge for my twins for ages. The problem is that they're 2 years and 3 months, so it's an expensive business given that it's about £3 a box and each box only lasts 3 days. I want to find/make a cheaper alternative, but it needs to be quick to prepare because mornings in our house are a tad frenetic.

Any ideas please?

I was thinking maybe some sort of muesli that I could just warm slightly in the microwave, but one of the twins is very fussy and avoids raisins.

If I make porridge in the microwave, it would need to be piping hot, so I'd have to wait ages for it to cool down, right? Not ideal. Does anyone make porridge for toddlers?

I can't use honey to sweeten it because they hate honey. What else could I use to sweeten it? Am I going to have to spend ages chopping raisins and dried banana to be small enough to hide? They hate fresh fruit.

Sorry to be so clueless but I'm not a porridge-eater at all. And our two really aren't interested in food much at all so I can't be very adventurous.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now