when to start brushing

(18 Posts)

I'd wait until they're fully through, the surrounding gum will be still be sore.

I started brushing as soon as his first (and only!) two teeth popped through all the way. Just a smear of toothpaste and a wee brush, then I give him the brush to hold.

We've also got one of these :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brush-Baby-111-Chewable-Toothbrush-Clear/dp/B00344IMVI
Which can be used as a toothbrush, because you just put a tiny bit of paste on and then let them 'chew' it.

goneHaywire Sun 24-Feb-13 07:01:22

so dd's first 2 teeth are finally coming through, I don't think they're completely 'up' yet but should I be brushing now or would that just hurt her?

goneHaywire Sat 12-Jan-13 20:27:42

thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'm inclined to agree with fairylea about the brushing making the gums sore, I think her gums and irritated enough at the moment as DD is teething.

Great - thanks Oinkypig! I've only been using a free sample of baby toothpaste up til this point. I won't bother with them in the future!

Oinkypig Sat 12-Jan-13 13:06:06

The minimum amount of fluoride in toothpaste you should be using is 1000ppm, so all baby toothpastes should have at least 1000ppm. It's not that the child can't use a toothpaste with more fluoride it's that the benefits of the fluoride aren't felt if the level is lower than 1000ppm. There is a risk of fluorosis but that is only of you are ingesting a lot of fluoride. If you only use a small smear it should not be a problem. There are areas of the uk that have fluoride in the water( Birmingham) and I suppose if you were really concerned and lived there you could use a baby toothpaste. The problems with fluorosis only arise generally if you are taking a fluoride supplement as well which are very rarely given out these days.
Baby toothpastes really are a waste of money!

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Fri 11-Jan-13 20:49:39

Just checked. Our toothpastes fluoride levels are 1000 (baby) and 1450 (adult). It's strange as I read a thread on here recently about unnecessary baby purchases and everyone was saying baby toothpaste was a waste of money. confused

Fairylea Fri 11-Jan-13 20:41:07

From when they get their first teeth.

Brushing gums and using toothpaste before then can make them sore.

Oinkypig Do you not need a toothpaste with a lower fluoride level because babies/toddlers will swallow toothpaste, and the fluoride will then make their teeth yellow? (Fluoridosis or summat...)

simonthedog Fri 11-Jan-13 19:54:58

You do not need to brush a baby's gums. Just start brushing when the first teeth come through. You should use a baby toothpaste it has a slightly lower fluoride level. But you can switch to a normal one at 4 years.

stargirl1701 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:48:35

The Childsmile project gives out free toothpaste and brushes for babies.

Oinkypig Fri 11-Jan-13 19:41:41

Don't bother with milk toothpaste, just a tiny smear of normal adult toothpaste is fine, you really don't need baby toothpastes, it makes life much easier to use the same for everyone!

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Fri 11-Jan-13 18:45:09

Either baby toothpaste or an ordinary one (not whitening etc). You only need to put a tiny dab/smear of toothpaste on it until they are older.

SwivelHips Fri 11-Jan-13 09:15:04

Good question OP, DS has 2 tiny teeth and I've done nothing <adds milk toothpaste to long list of things that need to be done>

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 10-Jan-13 22:33:59

You can get toothpaste for milk teeth.

goneHaywire Thu 10-Jan-13 22:16:11

is there a special toothpaste I should use, for babies?

we concerned about her swallowing the toothpaste

McPhee Thu 10-Jan-13 21:30:34

My Dd is 6months, and we've started offering her the toothbrush/toothpaste in the bath at night. She seems to enjoy it smile

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Thu 10-Jan-13 21:27:52

My dentist told me that babies should have their gums/teeth brushed from when they are weaned. Bottle fed babies earlier, breast feeders not to worry. He was quite militant about it and I can't imagine someone trying to brush the gums of a newborn!

Anyway, it's a good idea to start anyway to get them used to the tooth brush.

goneHaywire Thu 10-Jan-13 21:24:10

DD 6mo has started solids but doesn't have any teeth yet., Should I be brushing/cleaning her gums?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now