when to start brushing

(18 Posts)
goneHaywire Thu 10-Jan-13 21:24:10

DD 6mo has started solids but doesn't have any teeth yet., Should I be brushing/cleaning her gums?

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Thu 10-Jan-13 21:27:52

My dentist told me that babies should have their gums/teeth brushed from when they are weaned. Bottle fed babies earlier, breast feeders not to worry. He was quite militant about it and I can't imagine someone trying to brush the gums of a newborn!

Anyway, it's a good idea to start anyway to get them used to the tooth brush.

McPhee Thu 10-Jan-13 21:30:34

My Dd is 6months, and we've started offering her the toothbrush/toothpaste in the bath at night. She seems to enjoy it smile

goneHaywire Thu 10-Jan-13 22:16:11

is there a special toothpaste I should use, for babies?

we concerned about her swallowing the toothpaste

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 10-Jan-13 22:33:59

You can get toothpaste for milk teeth.

SwivelHips Fri 11-Jan-13 09:15:04

Good question OP, DS has 2 tiny teeth and I've done nothing <adds milk toothpaste to long list of things that need to be done>

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Fri 11-Jan-13 18:45:09

Either baby toothpaste or an ordinary one (not whitening etc). You only need to put a tiny dab/smear of toothpaste on it until they are older.

Oinkypig Fri 11-Jan-13 19:41:41

Don't bother with milk toothpaste, just a tiny smear of normal adult toothpaste is fine, you really don't need baby toothpastes, it makes life much easier to use the same for everyone!

stargirl1701 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:48:35

The Childsmile project gives out free toothpaste and brushes for babies.

simonthedog Fri 11-Jan-13 19:54:58

You do not need to brush a baby's gums. Just start brushing when the first teeth come through. You should use a baby toothpaste it has a slightly lower fluoride level. But you can switch to a normal one at 4 years.

Oinkypig Do you not need a toothpaste with a lower fluoride level because babies/toddlers will swallow toothpaste, and the fluoride will then make their teeth yellow? (Fluoridosis or summat...)

Fairylea Fri 11-Jan-13 20:41:07

From when they get their first teeth.

Brushing gums and using toothpaste before then can make them sore.

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Fri 11-Jan-13 20:49:39

Just checked. Our toothpastes fluoride levels are 1000 (baby) and 1450 (adult). It's strange as I read a thread on here recently about unnecessary baby purchases and everyone was saying baby toothpaste was a waste of money. confused

Oinkypig Sat 12-Jan-13 13:06:06

The minimum amount of fluoride in toothpaste you should be using is 1000ppm, so all baby toothpastes should have at least 1000ppm. It's not that the child can't use a toothpaste with more fluoride it's that the benefits of the fluoride aren't felt if the level is lower than 1000ppm. There is a risk of fluorosis but that is only of you are ingesting a lot of fluoride. If you only use a small smear it should not be a problem. There are areas of the uk that have fluoride in the water( Birmingham) and I suppose if you were really concerned and lived there you could use a baby toothpaste. The problems with fluorosis only arise generally if you are taking a fluoride supplement as well which are very rarely given out these days.
Baby toothpastes really are a waste of money!

Great - thanks Oinkypig! I've only been using a free sample of baby toothpaste up til this point. I won't bother with them in the future!

goneHaywire Sat 12-Jan-13 20:27:42

thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'm inclined to agree with fairylea about the brushing making the gums sore, I think her gums and irritated enough at the moment as DD is teething.

goneHaywire Sun 24-Feb-13 07:01:22

so dd's first 2 teeth are finally coming through, I don't think they're completely 'up' yet but should I be brushing now or would that just hurt her?

I'd wait until they're fully through, the surrounding gum will be still be sore.

I started brushing as soon as his first (and only!) two teeth popped through all the way. Just a smear of toothpaste and a wee brush, then I give him the brush to hold.

We've also got one of these :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brush-Baby-111-Chewable-Toothbrush-Clear/dp/B00344IMVI
Which can be used as a toothbrush, because you just put a tiny bit of paste on and then let them 'chew' it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now