Does anyone else regret BLW with a previous child?

(42 Posts)
howtobehappy Fri 28-Dec-12 21:10:51

I am not sure if it is just me as I have read through a lot of the posts on here and everyone seems to get on well with BLW, is there anyone that has done this with an older child and regreted it?

I did BLW with my now 3 year old and am now pregnant with number 2 and I am going to go down the traditional puree route this time. I offered my first child finger food from 6 months, she did not know what to do with it and it took her until 7 months to eat anything. Even then it was a couple of bits of cucumber and brocoli. Nothing else would pass her lips until about 11 months old, when she would then eat some pasta, peas and grated cheese, porridge and yoghurt. I stopped breast feeding at 1 year and switched to cows milk, I wished I had used a follow on formula as by about 18 months my DD would hardly eat anything. Just cucumber and porridge. She is now 3 and will no longer drink milk. She will not try new foods. For example yesterday she ate 1 slice of toast all day, and today she has eaten half a bread stick. She will not eat any fruit at all. I think if I had introduced her to lots of different tastes in purees she would have done better. My DD is not underweight so doctors are not worried, they said children can survive on very little.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Iwillorderthefood Fri 28-Dec-12 22:46:26

Did annabell kamel with DD1 she is really fussy, did BLW withDD2 and she has a much more varied diet than DD1.

ChristmasNamechangeBridezilla Fri 28-Dec-12 22:49:12

I have a fussy eater who was blw, now aged three and my husband blames blw for his poor eating habits. I must admit my 18mo is mainly spoonfed with accompanying finger food as a result and does seem to eat much better but obviously could just be down to them being very different children.

mamaCam Sat 29-Dec-12 00:27:37

my HV suggested offering purees as well as encouraging self feeding. that way you can get them used to the tastes, get food down them and allow some autonomy. then when she is ready to feed herself she'll already recognise the taste

I mash DDs food with a spoon so its more lumpy and try to offer the same things in finger food form. I've found that she actually enjoys being fed whether from a spoon or with fingers and generally anything that's NOT food if what she will try and put in her mouth.

LeBFG Sat 29-Dec-12 08:43:55

BLW wasn't the great success I'd hoped it would be. It wasn't less work either, it was more and more angst-ridden. So with the next, I'll expect I'll just go easy and give purees. By DSis had great success with her two boys, although I note they have an obsession with humous and toast!

There was a BLW vs ordinary weaning paper published a while back and they found no difference with fussiness between the groups.

Oh, and OP, my bfed DS refuses all milk and dairy products except yoghurt. The neighbour said I should have introduced a bottle before 12 months so perhaps this was my fault - I don't think it was, I just think some toddlers are fussier than others. Unfortunately hmm.

JingleJohnsJulie Sat 29-Dec-12 09:13:18

leBFG refusing cows milk when you are bfing is perfectly normal. Like I say, I've weaned one on purees and one BLW and both refused cows milk as a drink until I had stopped bfing. And why should they drink cows milk when there is something especially designed for them, really scrummy and comes with Mummy cuddles? smile

howtohere's the book I mentioned. Think the kindle version is £4.99. HTH

AngelsWithSilverWings Sat 29-Dec-12 09:45:15

I adopted my two DCs when they were 10 months old. DS was weaned in the traditional way by his foster carer. She used jars mainly but I gradually got him used to home made food ( Anabel Karmel recipes. ) . He eats or at least tries absolutely anything you put in front of him.

My DD on the other hand is a nightmare to feed. Her FC used the BLW method. She was always choking and being sick. Mostly she just chewed and spat out. I tried to spoon feed as she wasn't eating anything but she refused a spoon.

She got ill all the time and I'm sure she just wasn't eating enough to keep her healthy. She seems to have a fear of eating and even at 4.5 years old will often panic about swallowing something and start choking before spitting out. I have to cut up everything into tiny pieces before she will eat and preferably cover everything in gravy or a a sauce.

It could just be different personalities but my experience of BLW is so bad that if I had the choice I would go down the traditional route.

JingleJohnsJulie Sat 29-Dec-12 09:54:12

Don't think your DDs choking has anything to do with blw personally and I'm not just leaping to the defence of blw. It's just that I've never met a blwer like this, have seen a few on here but there is always another issue like tongue tie or a very, very sensitive gag reflex or reflux. Think like you say, it's just different children.

SoupDragon Sat 29-Dec-12 10:09:01

I regret being so focussed on BLW with DD that I failed to realise it makes no difference how you wean your child - do what is right for you and them.

You can do both BLW and purées from a spoon. If your baby is happy to take stuff from a spoon and you're not just shovelling it in regardless, all is good.

CaseyShraeger Sat 29-Dec-12 10:16:36

I have three DC and my fussiest eater is the one who was puree-weaned. I don't think it's anything to do with weaning approach, just the way he is (actually I wonder whether he's a super taster as he has many of the signs, including not liking chocolate and not having much of a sweet tooth). He eats a lot more now at seven than he did at three, though.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Dec-12 11:18:38

I failed to realise it makes no difference how you wean your child - do what is right for you and them

Very true.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Dec-12 11:19:26

We do seem to have a peculiar idea that all DCs are the same and there is the way.

notengodinero Sat 29-Dec-12 11:30:18

I did blw with both of mine. Ds1 was much more enthusiastic, ate much more much earlier. Ds2 is 14m and is only just eating what you'd class as proper full meals. But, I feel strongly that they have both done what it right for them. They both gained weight well and are healthy. Ds2 is much more of a boob monster than ds1 so clearly he gets a lot of nourishment from that. Which is fine.
Fussiness can happen to any child. Ds1 is going through a fussy stage atm (he's 3) but again I'm not worried. I'm pleased that we were brave enough to give them both "adult" food from the start (I.e. stuff with spices, diff textures etc) so they got used to it quickly and no food or flavour has every seemed to be an unwelcome surprise! Don't worry. Your dc will get there in the end smile

blushingmare Mon 31-Dec-12 08:55:44

I only started weaning about a month ago and had planned to do "pure" BLW, but just didn't get on with it as I'd hoped. She seemed to start off enjoying the taste of food and was keen to eat, but would get frustrated by not being able to pick stuff up and hold it, making it a very slow process - think she wanted the food more quickly as she found it very tiring at the start too. However, she also refused spoon feeding! After an inital curiosity with the finger foods we then had a week of her just crying at tge sight of foods and refusing everything. So what I do is make her a purée, but also keep some of it whole as finger foods and also give her loaded spoons, which she grabs bit I also keep a hold of to guide and steady it in the right direction! I also load some of the finger foods with puree for her to suck it off. This has been much more successful and has really given her the idea of what food's about. She's now starting to get the hang of handling the finger foods better and is managing to actually eat some of them too (I was particularly impressed with how she managed slippery pear yesterday!). I think he needed to get a taste for the food to give her the motivation to persevere with the finger foods, but I think if all I'd done was put finger foods in front of her we'd still be having meltdowns.

As has been said though every baby's different and I think you just need to follow your baby's cues on what they want. Surely that's the true definition of baby led weaning, rather than strictly adhering to the ideals written in a book? smile

As has been said though every baby's different and I think you just need to follow your baby's cues on what they want. Surely that's the true definition of baby led weaning, rather than strictly adhering to the ideals written in a book?

THIS^^

I'm doing traditional. Started off with purees because of reflux. Now at 8 months, I spoon feed while he stuffs food in with his hands.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 01-Jan-13 22:20:07

I did puree stuff with DS1, all sorts of fruit and vegetables. He will not eat fruit now aged 7 and is very particular about what he eats.

I did sort of BLW with DS2 in that he wouldn't be fed from a spoon so we had no option but to give him stuff he could eat himself. He has been feeding himself with a spoon for 1.5 years now and tonight tried to use a knife and fork properly. He is coming up to 3. He will eat anything inc fruit.

I really think that no matter how you wean, your child will decide what he/she likes or doesn't. For your new DC I would follow their lead. DS1 hated getting his hands dirty and would be spoon fed aged 4 given half a chance grin

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 01-Jan-13 22:34:33

good lord, if the aim is to get them to eat with the family then do not fear. DS1 was the worst fussiest eater ever. Now as a 7yo he will eat most things without fuss and is great at the dinner table, even though we have fed him at an earlier time to us most of his life. He still has excellent table manners and enjoys eating as a family. In fact I think that is partly down to the fact that we have never forced him to eat with us, that now he see's it as a treat!

SamSmalaidh Tue 01-Jan-13 22:35:17

Children eat well or become fussy for a variety of reasons, and while weaning method plays a part, purees vs. BLW is not going to guarantee anything. Personality, breast/bottle, gag reflex, intolerances, tongue-tie, an early bad experience/fright etc etc all come into play.

FWIW my DS breastfed like a dream, BLW at 5 months onto brocolli, chicken, fish, spinach, lentils, anything he could get his hands on. At 9 months went through a phase of only wanting to be spoon fed mush for a while, by 12 months was using cutlery and 100% feeding himself but basically only ate yoghurt, bananas, cheese and sausages hmm and now at 2.5 years eats fairly well but nothing green/any vegetables, and nothing "new".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now