Do I really need another book?

(11 Posts)
Iburntthecakes Thu 13-Dec-12 00:30:35

DD is nearly 5 months and so we're starting to think about what we might need to do/know to wean her next month.

I've just read lots of books on sleep and concluded that very little of it was actually that helpful. I'm a bit reluctant to waste a load more money and time on weaning books if its not necessary.

I've been talking with various friends and relatives who have given me all sorts of advice some of which I just don't understand and am a little suspicious of. eg leaving 4 days when introducing anything new, various convoluted 8 week weaning plans, not giving combinations of food so they understand what pear tastes like etc.

I've read the NHS page on weaning and the mumsnet guide. I know to start after 6 months, to avoid salt, added sugar, honey, undercooked eggs and shark. I also understand that milk will be her main diet until she is 1 and that I shouldn't worry if she doesn't eat much to begin with but just treat it as a new game.

From speaking to friends I suspect I am going to go down a baby led weaning approach. I tend to cook from scratch anyway so I can leave salt, particularly hot spices etc out of some of it for her.

Am I going to run into problems if I scrap buying the book and literally just give her bits of whatever I'm eating? It seems slightly alarming to go from just milk one day to anything the rest of us eat the next but is there any reason why not?

jennimoo Thu 13-Dec-12 06:22:57

I just got the baby led weaning cookbook as helped me with ideas, but as long as the salt etc is ok just let her have what you do. Start low on spices and build up to normal: my DD likes her food hotter than me it seems!

MrsMangoGingerbreadhouse Thu 13-Dec-12 06:35:39

What jennimoo said. smile

We didn't BLW. We started with purees before 6 months (on advice!) and gradually worked through. At 6 months DD was often having a bit of what we were, just mashed up. She also likes spicier food than me, and she loves really mature cheddar.

The four day gap thing is just so you can see if they have any adverse reactions. DD didn't get on with cherries and peaches to start with, but you couldn't tell until a few hours later. She's fine with them now.

Sirzy Thu 13-Dec-12 06:43:13

I have managed to get DS to 3 without any books!

If you want to use one to help then do, otherwise follow your instincts and be sensible and don't rush at weaning.

Pootles2010 Thu 13-Dec-12 06:44:30

Agree with others. Alternatively - get to a library! Then you won't waste your money. If you still have library, obv angry

didoreth Thu 13-Dec-12 06:52:27

No, you don't need a book. You can just give the baby bits of whatever you're eating. Then let them get on with it. Be preared for mess. The one rule is to wash banana out of clothes immediately, or you get permanent black marks.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 13-Dec-12 06:55:56

Yes, what the others have said. Plus wipe up Weetabix immediately as it sets like concrete

SwivelHips Thu 13-Dec-12 09:52:54

I bought the BLW book and the cookbook without realising that the cookbook reguratates the same information. Have to say I'm too busy most days to refer back to it much for recipes etc...I'd say save your money.

Iburntthecakes Thu 13-Dec-12 20:19:36

Thanks for all your replies. I will particularly note the rules about concrete breakfast cereals and black bananas and give it a go in a few weeks without additional reading materials

smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Dec-12 22:29:17

Agree with all the others, you sound like you've got it sussed to me.

TarkaTheOtter Sat 15-Dec-12 18:18:30

All that advice (eg introducing things one at a time) sounds like old advice for weaning 4 month olds. At six months you can just give them what your having (excepting the few things mentioned above).

However, it won't be the dramatic change you are expecting of just milk to full meals because your baby will probably eat virtually nothing for the first few weeks if you blw. My dd is 10months and only this week has started eating what I would consider "proper meals" rather than a bit of tasting/licking/throwing on the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now