Baby refuses to lead the weaning!

(9 Posts)
Alicethroughthewineglass Wed 21-Nov-12 19:50:36

I am trying to wean DD using the baby led approach. DD however, has decided that she's not really into leading!

She started off really well feeding herself sticks of veg, toast, loaded spoons of thick soup, yoghurt etc, but for the last 3 weeks is refusing to pick up anything, doesn't really play with the food and methodically drops it on the floor. Instead she opens her mouth and wants me to feed her, screaming if I don't!

She seems to really enjoy her food if I feed her and hasn't rejected anything I've given her, but I'm just a bit frustrated!

Has anyone had experience of this or advice they can offer?

MilkRunningOutAgain Wed 21-Nov-12 21:23:13

I think your dd is giving you a very clear message, and showing great communication skills! I'd go with what she wants. You can always continue to offer finger foods, but if she wants feeding by mum, I'd do it.

She may decide she likes BLW again in a few weeks time. My dd was the other way round, she screamed when I tried to feed her but was very happy to self feed. dS liked to be fed and screamed only when I didn't feed him fast enough.

Good luck, weaning is good fun when they like eating, whether purees or BLW.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 21-Nov-12 21:27:55

If she wants to be spoon fed, spoon feed her!

Alicethroughthewineglass Fri 23-Nov-12 16:24:31

Milk - yes, right from birth she has communicated her needs and wants very clearly! I think she has decided that she gets food faster if I feed her!

Bongaloo Sun 25-Nov-12 00:14:16

Sounds baby led to me grin

NellyBluth Wed 28-Nov-12 21:37:55

Bongolo - grin

For all BLW is the current trend, some babies just don't like it. DD never liked it, she's always preferred to be fed herself. Its only now at 10mo that she is starting to really get the hang of feeding herself. Just go with the flow, as long as she is eating it really doesn't matter which way she is getting the food in.

sharond101 Wed 28-Nov-12 22:35:31

My LO wants spoon fed too I think he craves the attention. He normally steals the spoon from me half way through and it then becomes a getting messy game.

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 28-Nov-12 22:38:40

just go with it. DS1 always wanted to be spoon fed and was until about 4yo blush DS2 OTOH would not be spoon fed and insisted on feeding himself from about 8 months which was when he started eating proper food.He is 2.9 now and happily uses a spoon and fork.

Alicethroughthewineglass Sat 29-Dec-12 16:44:53

Thanks for all the advice. A little update...DD is now a spoon refuser and wants to self feed everything including yoghurt and soup. (My word it's messy!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now