solids and constipation nightmare!

(8 Posts)
emz0909 Sat 17-Nov-12 20:34:08

My Lo is 6months has been wearning since about 19 weeks due to reflux. just lately he has been suffering with constipation and i dont really no why. He only has either half a jar or 2/3 cubes of fruit usually pear, peach, bit of banana ( i no banana is binding) for breakfast and half a jar or a few spoonfuls of homemade sweet potato and parsnip.i dont no what i seem to be doing wrong. someone mentioned im feeding him too much solids but i dont think this is the case ive heard of more babies eating alot more at his age. also this past week he has reduced his milk feeds alot going from 4-5 7oz milk feeds to only taking 3-4oz on some feeds. anyone no why? and im worried i cant help his milk intake due to being milk intollerant. sorry for the long rant im just really concernced sad

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 17-Nov-12 21:51:28

does he take water with meals?

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 18-Nov-12 03:46:07

You could try offering prunes.
And try to keep liquid intake up.

emz0909 Sun 18-Nov-12 09:23:01

Yeah he has water from a cup but doesn't take much so might just give it back in a bottle to up his intake. Do you think he has too much solids?

laikalooo Sun 18-Nov-12 09:32:28

Try cutting out the banana at breakfast and give him some baby porridge with pear or apple instead.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Nov-12 10:04:54

The recommended amount of formula is 20floz per day from 6 to 12 months so you seem to be moving in the right direction. Do you always offer water with all of his meals? Have you changed his milk at all?

Also agree with others that banana can be binding but so can sweet potato and parsnip. Now he is 6 months have you thought of trying finger foods? He might like some cucumber or pear wedges, both might help his problem too smile. You could also try him with some high water foods such as soup, jelly, ice lolly, broccoli, cauliflower and melon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Nov-12 10:09:19

And I don't think he is having too much solids either, just try and offer him water with meals and leave a sippy cup where he can reach it in the day.

If you are worried about how much solids he should be having, take a look at MN weaning section, there is some great information including a helpful timetable smile.

MillionPramMiles Mon 19-Nov-12 16:30:33

I have a similar problem with my 6 month old dd. The only thing I've found that helps is diluted prune juice, plenty of water and puréed spinach and pear. I also found baby rice blocked her up so used porridge instead if I needed to thicken up watery veg. Hope that helps.
Ps I read that puréed cooked apple can also be binding, something to do with the pectin apparently...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now