Tripp Trapp or Antilop

(46 Posts)
whoneedstosleep Sat 17-Nov-12 15:36:22

I apologise if this should be in products firstly!

Ok so I have spent far too much time researching both of these highchairs.
They both do roughly the same thing....it's just the cost.

My lovely dad will happily pay for either so it's not about the money although I don't want him paying for something just because IYKWIM.

My DS1 used his (nightmare to clean) Chico chair until he was 3.5. He is easily distracted so having him in a highchair kept his attention on eating.

This is the only thing really putting me off the Ikea one, it looks small so they would outgrow it quickly?

Jojay Mon 26-Nov-12 22:47:53

And as for the BLW comment, the Antilop tray can go in the dishwasher. Your dining room table can't. Or mine couldn't anyway wink

Jojay Mon 26-Nov-12 22:46:51

Quite a few toddlers I've known, including my own, have refused to use the Tripp Trapp as a normal chair though, complaining it's 'baby-ish'. It's longevity is great in theory, until you get an opinionated 2 yo who wants to be like his big brother grin

OP, I hope the Tripp Trapp suits you well, but for me, it's Antilop all the way.

BartletForTeamGB Mon 26-Nov-12 22:38:20

Heidi, my comment was to 33goingon64 who said, "Antilop all the way, especially if doing BLW." I couldn't (and still can't) work out the advantage of the Antilop over the Tripp Trapp "especially if doing BLW".

heidihole Mon 26-Nov-12 20:03:54

It's the Babydan highchair rilla

RillaBlythe Mon 26-Nov-12 20:02:05

What's a cheaper version of TT? Dd starting to object to her Antilop, wants to be on a normal chair but is too small.

heidihole Mon 26-Nov-12 19:56:07

Bartlet "Why especially for BLW? The Tripp Trapp is very easy to clean & goes right up to the table."

Looks like you've answered your own question.

BartletForTeamGB Sun 25-Nov-12 23:31:13

Why especially for BLW? I've really liked both & have done BLW but can't see the connection. The Tripp Trapp is very easy to clean & goes right up to the table.

33goingon64 Sun 25-Nov-12 20:28:53

Antilop all the way, especially if doing BLW.

BartletForTeamGB Sun 25-Nov-12 19:27:41

We have both! The Tripp Trapp looks much better at the table & we'll get another one when DC3 needs one, but the Antilop gets thrown in the back of the car whenever we are going to other people's houses for meals.

Uppermid Thu 22-Nov-12 21:16:47

You won't regret it

whoneedstosleep Wed 21-Nov-12 20:32:18

It's ordered & due to arrive tomorrow smile smile smile

HeidiHole Wed 21-Nov-12 17:37:38

good choice!

notjustamummythankyou Tue 20-Nov-12 07:34:54

Good choice! smile

whoneedstosleep Mon 19-Nov-12 20:02:05

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your input.

We are going with the TT, will leave the table top bit just now and buy an ordinary mat to put on table.

thanks

Pinner35 Mon 19-Nov-12 17:27:17

Sorry whoneeds, I had poorly DD's to attend to. We have these, which means that they are still able to sit up to the table,. Pricey but worth it IMO.

www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=tripp+trapp+table+top&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=126343205839069790&sa=X&ei=oGuqUNGtH6ik0AWJoYGYAw&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAA

witchitagrub Mon 19-Nov-12 17:18:16

Sorry i meant once they are nolonger babies

witchitagrub Mon 19-Nov-12 17:17:46

Antilop here, save his money for something worthwhile.

Mind you, i am not really a fan of special equipment for children once theysre no longer toddlers - bothof mine have sat happily on normsl chairs since 2 yrs old so i dont really see the appeal of a 'special' chair that grows with them.4

KateShmate Mon 19-Nov-12 17:13:38

Meryl Our eldest DD is 6 and still uses her Tripp Trapp for every meal too.

We found that before she had a TT, when she was at the wrong height, she used to get food everywhere and was constantly dropping it; even though she knelt up at the table so that technically she was at the right height. Since getting a TT she has barely spilt a crumb. Apparently its because they need to be sitting on a stable, flat surface - when they are kneeling up at the table, they aren't stable enough.

notjustamummythankyou Mon 19-Nov-12 09:41:10

We use both on a regular basis. We have use the tripp trapp at home and an Antilop chair stays at the grandparents for when we visit.

The tripp trapp is so comfortable for our 9mo, and our 3yo also has one - he find it so much easier to eat at the table when he's at the right height (obvious, but true).

I really can't think of any disadvantages with the tripp trapp - it's got a small footprint and can be pushed right under the table when not in use. The baby set cushions are a PITA to get on and off when they need cleaning. I've just read upthread about just keeping the back cushion on - good idea - I may just do that.

Antilop: great chair but its legs splay out - I'm forever tripping over them when we use it. Very easy to clean though, and takes apart in seconds. I do find there is a huge gap between the inner edge of the tray and 9mo's tummy - most of her food ends up on her knees! You don't have to use the tray though, and it will push up to a table, but it won't necessarily be at the right height.

Tripp Trapp do their own food tray which I think others upthread have referred to here.

The playtray which, I think OP you referred to here isn't actually made by Tripp Trapp, but as the whole Stokke 'ethos' is to use the table, they don't actually do their own. This Playtray was specially designed to fit the Tripp Trapp, though. We bought one when our 3yo was a baby. While it is a bit expensive, we really couldn't have done with out it and our 9mo uses it now. The advantage is that they can sit playing with toys or snacking in the highchair without having to be at the table, and it's easy to clean and can be thrown in the dishwasher. A bit of an investment for a bit of plastic, but well worth it IMHO!

On balance, if money isn't an issue, then go with the Tripp Trapp and a tray. If you're short on space, go with the Tripp Trapp. If you're short on space and money and don't mind dismantling now and then, go with the Antilop.

Sorry, bit of an essay, but HTH! grin

HeidiHole Sun 18-Nov-12 22:33:06

We have the Tripp Trapp. DS is only 6 months so literally been in it a week!

So far we love it. We got it in oak so it matches our kitchen table. As reccommended by Stokke we only have the back cushion on it, not the seat cushion so all the food that is dropped does onto the floor (for the dogs!) or the wooden seat so easy clean up. DS sits up at the table with us and it will grow with him. I dithered for too long ages over the tripp trapp or the antilop and i'm very happy with our choice.

Definitely recommend the table top tray.

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10751&langId=-1&productId=70610

It just has suckers and attaches to the table top. Makes clean up even easier (tray can go into sink/dishwasher) and no need for plates or bowls. It has a lip on it so food cant slide off.

MerylStrop Sun 18-Nov-12 21:40:37

Yeah, but adult chairs are not the right height for sitting at a dining table if you are 2 (or 6, in DD's case). grin

I don't particularly think that independent entry and exit from the antilop would be something you'd want to encourage.

That said, I think the antilop is brilliant for the money.

MerylStrop my 19mo DD can get in and out of our normal adult dining chair. Don't need a TT for the independence grin.

KateShmate Sun 18-Nov-12 20:19:53

We've got Tripp Trapp's for our 5 DD's and they are just brilliant - they last far longer than the Antilops as you just keep putting the seat down every time they get bigger.
One of my DD's Occupational Therapists came to our house and explained how good TT's are for children's development (not just highchair age) as its actually really important for them to be at the right height for the table. She also said that they are brilliant for younger babies when they are just sitting as its a brilliant position for them to be in.
We've never had the trays for ours as I just think the point behind TT's is that you have DC's up at the table from the beginning - but FWIW, friends have said that they are good.
Definitely a good investment I'd say smile

MerylStrop Sun 18-Nov-12 20:13:35

We have 2 Tripp Trapps (and 3 kids) and love them. One is 8 years old and still looks good as new.

DD is nearly 6 and still uses hers, she is only a little thing and the extra height is helpful. I like that the children can get in and out and up and down independently (though that might be a disadvantage to you).

fossil97 Sun 18-Nov-12 19:55:29

I should say we did have two Tripp Trapps from about age 2 to age 6 for both children, would still have them except building work forced a big selling off of anything valuable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now