What does your 6mo eat?

(24 Posts)
sharond101 Thu 15-Nov-12 22:13:10

Curious to kniw what other 6mo babies eat and when they eat it and when thry have milk. Ds tods had
8am ready brek
9.20breastmilk
12.30small piece bread
1pm breastmilk
3pm soup mestball cauliflower angel delight
6pm breastmilk 1/2 weetsbix
8.30 formula

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 16-Nov-12 20:00:59

Haven't got a 6 month old anymore, but the current advice is to offer milk an hour before solids. So if you are mainly bfing I'd try a bf when you firt get up and then breakfast an hour later, maybe bf at 7 and ready brek at 8. Have you thought of adding some fruit to the ready brek for extra flavour? Things like berries, chopped banana or raisins all work well.

The idea of giving the milk first is that the solids should just be complementary. Her main nutrition should still come from the milk.

How about another bf at 10.30ish and lunch at around 11.30ish or 12? As for a small piece of bread, is that every day? What do you have at that time? Could she have some of that? You can always offer the breast again after lunch if she prefers to go to sleep that way.

Then how about a snack when she wakes up, a bf at 4, tea at 5 and then a bf at 7 and then the formula at 8.30?

With mine I've tried to get them eating family meals and at family times, probably because I'm a lazy tart and don't like cooking twice, which is why I like to offer what we are having smile

MrsBungleBear Fri 16-Nov-12 20:07:17

I have a 6 and a half month old. Today he had:

7am - milk
9am - weetabix
11am - milk
1pm - cheese sandwich and some cucumber
3pm- milk
4.30pm - mashed up lasagne and some bits of sweetcorn
6.45pm - millk

My DS has been weaning for about a month and is still trying loads of things. Sometimes the food goes in and sometimes it doesn;t. Until it goes in more often than not, I'll not be dropping his milks.

These timings fit for me as this is when 3 year old DD eats and they just eat the same thing at the same time.

Ginshizz Fri 16-Nov-12 20:12:00

Today, my 6month old DD had:

07:00 milk
08:30 banana and baby porridge
11:45 milk
12:30 sweet potato and carrot purée
16:30 milk
17:30 yoghurt
19:30 milk

I fear I am being unadventurous with DD! She has had a rocky six months so we are just thrilled she is thriving on our boring schedule!

JambalayaWarmMincePie Fri 16-Nov-12 20:18:12

We do a mix of milk/purées and BLW. DD is 7months old next week.

6.45 - 8oz milk.
7.30 - porridge
9.30 - toast (not always eaten, more a snack)
11.00 - 8oz milk
12.00ish - puréed meal (lumpy)
3.00 - 8oz milk
5-6ish - evening meal - a version of whatever we're having.
7pm - 9oz milk.

She also gets through about a beaker of water.

JambalayaWarmMincePie Fri 16-Nov-12 20:19:28

Ps. Be careful with the Ready Brek, it has quite a high salt content.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 16-Nov-12 20:24:40

I think you may be confusing blw with finger foods. Doing purees and finger foods isn't blw, its just called weaning smile. Also never seen another post about salt in ready brek, what are the levels?

JambalayaWarmMincePie Fri 16-Nov-12 21:17:27

I don't think it really matters what I call it, does it? The OP wasn't asking how we labelled our menus. smile

With regards to Ready Brek - i have no idea, my HV told me. It's one of the few thing I've actually taken her advice on. grin

JambalayaWarmMincePie Fri 16-Nov-12 21:36:46

And having googled, I now know my HVs advice is a decade out of date. *This is why I usually choose to ignore her^ grin

OP - ignore the Ready Brek comment!

JambalayaWarmMincePie Fri 16-Nov-12 21:37:05

FFS. BEDTIME. grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 16-Nov-12 21:38:58

Wasn't having a go about the ready brek jam, really wanted to know as that's what we've given ours on a regular basis from 6 months.

whoisright Fri 16-Nov-12 21:43:16

ds just 7 m had 4 breastfeeds today and half a mashed banana for lunch, its usually that or baby rice or a fruit/veg puree.

He cant tolerate anymore than that just sicks it all up as has reflux, really hoping it starts improving soon as keep trying to introduce 'dinner' too but it wont stay down!

jetstar Fri 16-Nov-12 21:44:37

Do none of your 6 month olds still have night feeds? (EBF here, 6 months old and just started weaning)

whoisright Fri 16-Nov-12 21:45:41

sorry yes should have added ds has usually 3-4 night feeds

sharond101 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:51:38

jilted thank you fir your suggestions.he was up around 4am the day of that menu which is unusual for him so gave him bf then and breakfast when he got up.he is always offere milk before& takes a little then onto the dolids then back formore milk a short time afterwards.its not that different to befote weaning as he usually likes his milk over two sittings. I am finding fruit a challenge as he has yet to like anything I have offered (banana,melin,syrawberries and pureed apples).wouldnt raisins be a choke hazard?
today he has had
7.45 bf
8.15 1/2 weetabix
9.30 2nd nf instalment lol!
11.45 chicken,rice&veg soup
12.10 bf
1.30 small chunk cheese
3.45bf
3.50soup&angel delight
4.45 tiny bf
6bf
8.30 bf

sharond101 Sat 17-Nov-12 10:26:14

Bunglebear do u give your lo sweetcorn kernels as they are?i pretty anxious about small things making them choke.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Nov-12 16:32:30

Mine have both coped with raisins from 6 months but I'm bound to get flamed over that one smile.

Also sharon if he is having his bf over 2 sittings isn't he having 2bfs? Could he just be quicker and more efficient at feeding now he is older?

sharond101 Sat 17-Nov-12 17:53:18

Jilted he takes expressed milk from a bottle due to latching on problems and only takes half a bottle (3ozs) then wont take anymore.he looks for the rest around half an hour later.

TheNameisNOTZiggy Sat 17-Nov-12 22:39:02

Be careful with ready brek. I was told the salt levels are quite high so have not touched it. We use ordinary porridge oats.

My 7 month old had:

7am - BF
7.30am - porridge with banana and yoghurt
10am - FF
11am - nutella on toast, fusilli pasta and chicken/veg mush in a jar
1pm - BF
2.30pm - FF
5pm- FF
6.30pm - EBM.

He normally eats tea, but wasn't interested at all today, so had to give him some expressed milk as a wee top up.

Mine stopped night feeds about 3 weeks ago.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Nov-12 09:45:17

sharon oh ok then, see what you mean.

ziggy obviously not read the whole thread then smile

who both of mine still had nights feeds at 6 months too [smle]

MrsBungleBear Mon 19-Nov-12 15:18:50

With the sweet corn I mush it between my fingers so its kind of flattened out a bit and put a few bits on his tray.

TheNameisNOTZiggy Mon 19-Nov-12 21:34:21

Oh.
Sorry - typing whilst bf so did not read whole thread!
Have they changed the recipe then? Poor PR by ready brek then! I have been told by a HV and a GP about a court case involving a child and ready brek's salt levels. (ha just checked with my friend google and that case was In the 90's following which ready brek reduced its salt content).

Apologies - you live n learn!!

As it is, I prefer just normal porridge oats and as LO is eating off my plate he has normal porridge with fruit. Not sure i like the idea of lots of added vitamins etc as I have not seen any evidence they are required or whether they are really safe for a baby. But that's just me being jittery!!
Does anyone have any info?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now