How much to feed?

(7 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Oct-12 20:34:11

It's recommended to start with one meal a day and build up to three. It's also best to offer the meal at lunchtime. If Lo has a reaction to the new foods you then have plenty of time to get it sorted before nighttime.

As for the bottles, 20floz a day is recommended between 6 and 12 months, you don't say how much formula you are offering ATM.

It's also recommended to offer the bottle about an hour before the solids, this is to make sure they get enough milk.

Can't do links at the moment but please google booby whisperer 9 reasons, it has some interesting baby rice facts.

Mn has some great weaning information too, including a useful timetable. Google mumsnet weaning and it'll come up smile

I'd like to know the answer to this, too! DD is 24 weeks and has had one ice-cube's worth of veggy puree each evening for a week. Tonight she had two. I think she probably could have eaten more, to be honest. Should I be giving her more? And food at other times of the day? I was vaguely waiting until she was six months, but that's not based on any expert knowledge or anything.

LouisaJF Tue 09-Oct-12 05:09:12

Thanks drladybird.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Drladybird Mon 08-Oct-12 08:59:44

When I asked the health visitor about food portion size, she told me that my child will let me know how much I should give. I found it v. unhelpful at the time (my child was about 8 months) but now it makes sense. My daughter definitely does let me know when she has had enough! At the early stages, I just took it gently, starting with one meal and then increasing to 3 over a number of weeks. Will be interested to hear what others do/ did...

LouisaJF Mon 08-Oct-12 06:30:21

I'm glad it's not just me!

Hypersonic Sun 07-Oct-12 20:53:43

Hi Loiusa - That saved me starting a new thread, I was about to ask pretty much the same. My baby girl had taken to food really well (11 days in!) and seems that she would be happy for me to keep shovelling. She could easily go to three meals tomorrow but perhaps I should slow things down? She is 5 months 1 week.

Stalking!

LouisaJF Sun 07-Oct-12 12:30:34

DS is 23 weeks and we have been weaning for a couple of weeks with baby rice and purees. The thing I don't seem ti be able to find out is how much to give him. Do I just try it once a day or every meal time? He's currently having the same number of bottles, should I reduce this? When do I switch from normal formula to follow-on milk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now